Mushrooms from a massive pile of Manure

• 11 Replies

mark777

Mushrooms from a massive pile of Manure
« on: October 22, 2009, 14:51 »
I have just got into Mushroom collecting and even got a book, but this left me a bit unsure on a massive collection of mushrooms growing on what was a sloped hill that had Horse Manure dumped. They look very nice with very long stems. Brown gills and white coned top.

new mush.jpg

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Mushrooms from a massive pile of Manure
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 16:04 »
earlier this year we filled the polytunnel up with the turkey manure from the run last year and as well as lovely tomatoes, we got loads of lovely mushrooms!  My Brian said put them in the pan quick before they start to go soft!

I think they are ordinary mushrooms.  We ate ours and we are still here!!   :blink: :blush: :wacko: :wacko:

mark777

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 16:10 »
By any way do you know the name of these mushrooms.

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 20:07 »
Personally....I would say avoid if you're not au fai with them.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 20:17 »
I think its the "egghead mottlegill"
Not edible by the way.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 20:25 »
Sorry if I was wrong!  I'll stay clear of fungi posts in future.  Dont want to make anyone sick!  :( :(

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 21:10 »
Sorry if I was wrong!  I'll stay clear of fungi posts in future.  Dont want to make anyone sick!  :( :(

.....or kill  'em!!!!!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 21:12 »
Edible field mushrooms will grow in shortish grass where dung has been eg, horse or cow pats.  Field mushrooms should have pink gills when new and must NOT turn yellow on any part of them when brused or cut into the flesh.  They smel very mushroomy too.  There are many edible and unedible mushrooms that look very similar but would leave well alone unless you know what you are eating.  You could get a ver bad tummy upset or worse.  I have loads growing in the horses field this year and we have been enjoying them for nearly a week now.  But we have been picking them for years in the same spot and I know what they look like.
mrs.ploppy

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 21:12 »
Forgot to say they should never have white gills either!

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 21:29 »
Unless you know 100% that the mushroom is edible....dont bother.
I picked a porcini / cep / penny bun (several names for the same fungi) last year , i knew what it was but still ate it slowly.
You CAN GET EDIBLE MUSHROOMS WITH WHITE GILLS such as "the prince" (when fresh) and  some edible species look extremely similar to non edibles, its a minefield that takes years of experience.
Easy edible ones to look out for are shaggy ink cap (when fresh) Hedgehog fungus , beefsteak fungus ,cauliflower fungus , giant puffball and chicken of the woods. 
I am no expert and like i said- never eat a fungus without 100% confirmation...if in the slightest doubt , throw it out. 
The best book i have found on the subject is Rodger phillips "mushrooms"

mark777

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:18 »
Thank you for all your reply's have binned them and hope to find more edible mushrooms.

argaric

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:51 »
Sorry to be a pain but The Prince (Argaricus augustus) does not have white gills, they are greyish pink at first, then pink and finally a dirty brown colour.

Also if you class the Horse Mushroom (Argaricus arvensis) as a field mushroom (it grows in very similar habit to the Field Mushroom (Araricus campestris) and will turn yellow on the cap when bruised or is old.

The biggest confusion with the Field Mushroom is the Yellow Stainer (Agaricus xanthoderma) that will turn bright yellow at the stem base when cut. This is a nasty mushroom.

Best advice if you want to know about funghi is to join a mycological group where there will be experts who can instruct you on how to identify funghi. As mentioned this takes a long time as you need to see the funghi in all stages of it's lifecycle and in many different types of conditions i.e. dry, wet, after frost (also some funghi get sunburn and change colour).

Books are useful but you need more than just photographs, water colours that illustrate (usually over emphasised) the identifiable features (that can be seen we the naked eye) are very useful. In many small guides the photography is not that good, Roger Phillips is an exception as he is a professional photographer who has published numerous books all supported by experts.

"There are old mushroom hunters, there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old bold mushroom hunters"

Regards,
  Argaric

xx
A pile of mushroom compost, and a pile of manure

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 19:18
by Totty
xx
What to grow next to manure pile?

Started by MrsLuigi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 11:47
by MrsLuigi
xx
growing in a pile of manure

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 13:30
by Jeanieblue
xx
chicken farm manure pile for me

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 05, 2007, 21:50
by muntjac

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 38 queries.