When to plant what?

• 4 Replies

kizza

• Experienced Member
When to plant what?
« on: January 05, 2007, 22:05 »
Hi, I want to plant carrots, Sprouts, Leeks, Cabbages, Onions and Potatoes. But when is the correct ime for planting each vegetable?

muntjac

When to plant what?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 22:33 »
courtesy of 2 sites i have checked out for rubbish and save me fungers
carrots are best sown over a long period to ensure that they are ready for eating from early June to October (longer if stored correctly). The table below shows when to sow carrots (early and maincrop varieties) and when the will be ready for harvest

SOW PROTECTION? TYPE HARVEST
mid-February Cloche protection Early early June
March Cloche protection Early June / July
April None Early and maincrop Early - July / August
Maincrop - August  
May None Maincrop August
June None Maincrop September
July None Maincrop October

for sprouts
Transplant in early summer to midsummer about the same time that you would plant late, long-season cabbage. The seed should be sown in a protected location in seed flats, 4 to 5 weeks before transplanting. Transplant the seedlings to the permanent garden location when space and time allow; but at least 90 to 100 days before the first frost date for your area. For summer harvest, you must plant transplants of an early, heat-resistant variety in very early spring. Sprouts maturing in hot weather or under dry conditions are more likely to develop bitterness. autumn production is the most practical and rewarding in most parts of the country.
Space plants 24 to 36 inches apart in the row, or 24 inches in all directions in beds. Cover seeds 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep and transplant the seedlings when they are about 3 inches tall. Do not allow transplants to become stunted in the flats before transplanting.
Brussels sprouts are grown much like the related cole crops, cabbage and broccoli. Apply one side-dress application of nitrogen fertilizer when the plants are 12 inches tall and water to keep the crop growing vigorously during the heat of summer. Without ample soil moisture, the crop fails. Insect control is also very important at this stage to keep the plants growing vigorously. Cultivate shallowly around the plants to prevent root damage. The sprouts form in the axils of the leaves (the space between the base of the leaf and the stem above it).
Commercial gardeners remove the leaves to accelerate harvest, but this practice is not essential in the home garden. Some gardeners believe that the sprouts develop better if the lowermost six to eight leaves are removed from the sides of the stalk as the sprouts develop. Two or three additional leaves can be removed each week, but several of the largest, healthiest, fully expanded upper leaves should always be left intact on top to continue feeding the plant.
The small sprouts or buds form heads one to two inches in diameter. They may be picked (or cut) off the stem when they are firm and about one inch in size. The lower sprouts mature first. pick your sprouts before the leaves yellow.

.............................................................................my bit

leeks as above sow and transpant a foot apart in a hole .push dibber in ground  and then put leek in water the soil back ,do not feed with to much fertiliser .manure is best put in the bed in winter .

onions i just use sets and stick under glas cloches in april  if you havent got them go for mid march .i dont sow seed as i find its more work for he same result as sets  :wink: .

potatoes planting varies as for which time you want to harvest earlies
mids and lates .
spuds like rich soil and sunny well drained beds. Buy potatos that are certified virus free for planting rather than grocery store potatos.
plant potatos a couple weeks before your last expected frost date.spuds  like loose soil.
 plenty of compost and manure  plant aproximately one foot deep. Water them regularily.
dont plant emm if ya had chillies or toms on that bit ground
stopgreen spuds by mounding your soil up around your potato plant once a few leaves sprout.
dig em up when the leaves  has died back; after the weather has been dry for a couple of days. You can lift the whole plant and burn the rubbish dont dump it on the compost bin in case ya have blight or some other problem
still alive /............

supersprout

• Experienced Member
When to plant what?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:00 »
I find the Garden Action planner excellent, among other online gardening calendars, you enter your UK postcode and it tells you what to plant when!
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/veg_planner.asp
SSx

muntjac

When to plant what?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:50 »
thats great i like it ty super sprout , great one :)

noshed

When to plant what?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 13:21 »
The T&M seed sowing guide seems quite good - 99p or free with a big order (via this site of course).
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
Where to plant all my veg

Started by Ch4rli3 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 14:36
by Ch4rli3
xx
plant for i d

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 18:17
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.