How much to grow

• 4 Replies

roger352

How much to grow
« on: October 12, 2010, 13:53 »
Hello
I was wondering how much to grow for a family 3 to be self sufficent in growing vegtables and salad crops.
I plan to grow potatoes, onions, peas, carrots, cauiflower, cabbage, brussels and beans. For the salad lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions, radishs and peppers.
Can any one help.
Roger 

bigben

Re: How much to grow
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 14:17 »
It might help people if they knew how experienced a gardener you are and how much land you have. If you are a newbie gardener as well as a newbie to the site then I would not recommend trying to be self sufficient in your first year but rather to grow what you like to eat and split the land you have into areas that can allow you to rotate crops. You will learn so much in your first year.
If however you are already an experienced gardener then the next question would be how much land you have to grow on. A standard size allotment is meant to allow someone to grow most of their veg for a family of 4 but I am not convinced. A better use might be to grow the expensive stuff or the stuff that tastes much better fresh than to try to grow everything you eat. Self sufficiency is an admirable aim but pretty difficult in practice. Use the search facility on the site to check for posts on this where much more experienced people than me have discussed this already - most of all enjoy your growing!

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 20:57 »
i tend to agree with bigben he is correct in what he's saying i have around an acre of lottie i rent we tend to grow the usual veggies on a crop rotation basis and some soft fruit raspberry and strawberry patches and some black currants i know it is rather a large patch to look after but i have a tractor and rotavator and a wife  to help me  we freeze what we can to take us through the winter

we have several freezers full of veggies and soft fruit but we are not self sufficient i enjoy  growing our family love fresh produce off the lottie when its picked for them i don't know if i could ever  grow enough to be self sufficient i suppose some of the old gardeners would disagree with me as i know years ago people had to grow veg on the lottie to feed there families as they didn't earn a lot of money to feed large families with empty bellies

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 21:29 »
On a recent similar thread I directed the poster here:
http://organicgarden.org.uk/gardening/vegetables/how-much-veg-to-plant
I have found it quite useful

roger352

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:42 »
Thank you for your replies i found them very interesting.
I have a small back garden and an allotment.
Roger

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Now it's up what to grow?

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 10:00
by WG.

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.