Parsnips

• 23 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 19:48 »
Excellent to eat. Did 2 x full meals & then mashed in spuds for a pie topping.

No secret, my soil is quite light and I have a few patches which are very light.  Just sow a pinch of seed every 8", thin out to the stongest plant, then leave for 7 or 8 months.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 21:27 »

Not surprising; it's rumoured that it's actually DD's 11 month-old niece holding the parsnip!!

OK DD I willingly give up; my parsnips last year were better than for years but nothing like your monster!

(Still curious to know what your niece has been fed on this last 11 months!)  :D
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arnie

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 20:43 »
After my first year at this allotment lark - my parsnips are this size too. Should i delay sowing til march to provide smaller less woodier roots?

8doubles

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 20:50 »
After my first year at this allotment lark - my parsnips are this size too. Should i delay sowing til march to provide smaller less woodier roots?

I wish i could get them to grow that early. What variety do you grow , my gladiators get huge but never woody.

arnie

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 21:03 »
Not sure what variety they were - they wer out of a value selection pack from B & Q . A friend at work give me his secret though , dont sow in rows - use a dibber,waggleing it to produce a tapered hole in a grid sort of way- then fill it with potting compost, sow three seeds on top and cover with half inch of more compost the lightly water. I didn't think i had worked as the weeds took to sprout but they eventually came good allowing the weeds to be pulled .Dont forget to thin to one shoot though as i missed several thinking it wouldnt matter but it does  - you end up with them growing round each other - fun shapes to laugh at though. - good luck this year!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 21:09 »

Mine are not woody & were sown in April.  Later is not neccesarily smaller as germination is faster.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 21:10 »
seen a photo of one on a mates mobile phone that took two people to carry.

no photoshop - comfrey!!
Peak Hives

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 21:20 »
Seeing a photo of one on someone else's mobile phone can hardly be described as proof.

The world record for a parsnip is less than 13 lbs. This can be carried by one person, it's a damn ugly thing that scarely resembles a parsnip, which at least those produced by our forum members do.

http://www.gvgo.ca/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=7

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 22:52 »
I have no reason to suspect it was anything other than true.  No proof needed for me as I trust my friend to be a competent gardener and not a liar.  He said they ate off that parsnip for several days...wish mine would grow so big. 

I'll try to get some photos.

Nick

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2017, 19:59
by Mr Dog
xx
parsnips

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 22:11
by Teen76
xx
parsnips

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 11:46
by DD.

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 36 queries.