Mysterious seeds arrived in the post

• 5 Replies

wneva

Mysterious seeds arrived in the post
« on: August 03, 2020, 11:49 »
I received a package from Malaysia a couple of months ago, and thought it was from Amazon.  We'd ordered some courgette seeds at beginning of lockdown.  They were described as XIANJIA - Climbing Zucchini Seeds Organic Vegetable Seeds.  So when they eventually arrived on 28 May I planted them.

They have grown very quickly, and are now quite enormous.   No sign of any climbing but they are very vigorous.   But there was talk on the radio a day or two ago of unsolicited seeds being sent to thousands of people in USA from China, using agents in Malaysia and Thailand.  The seeds are now under investigation in USA, to find out if they are harmful or invasive like the knotweed.  I wonder if I should dig 'em up.  What do people think?

If I knew how to reduce a photo to the size that it'll be accepted on this site, I'd post a pic to show you what they look like now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mysterious seeds arrived in the post
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 12:19 »
If they're not recognisably courgette plants, I would dig them out and bin them asap.
Better safe than sorry IMO.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 14:43 »
Have they actually produced any courgettes, even baby ones yet.     I would be very cautious if it were me.
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 15:30 »
I received a package from Malaysia a couple of months ago, and thought it was from Amazon.  We'd ordered some courgette seeds at beginning of lockdown.  They were described as XIANJIA - Climbing Zucchini Seeds Organic Vegetable Seeds.  So when they eventually arrived on 28 May I planted them.

They have grown very quickly, and are now quite enormous.   No sign of any climbing but they are very vigorous.   But there was talk on the radio a day or two ago of unsolicited seeds being sent to thousands of people in USA from China, using agents in Malaysia and Thailand.  The seeds are now under investigation in USA, to find out if they are harmful or invasive like the knotweed.  I wonder if I should dig 'em up.  What do people think?

If I knew how to reduce a photo to the size that it'll be accepted on this site, I'd post a pic to show you what they look like now.

Here's how I resize pictures on the computer. Open the pictures in Microsoft paint, and click edit. There should be a resize option and click down a size and save. if that doesn't fit then resize downwards until it is small enough.

cc

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:23 »
They have been sending them to UK as well. Supposedly a "brushing scam". Which is a way of getting positive feedback for there site (they write the feedback). It also means somebody has supplied them with your name and address which they obtained illegally.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:25 by cc »

mrsbean

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 23:56 »
Saw the post about USA suspect seeds today, thanks for heads up that people here are getting them also. Read last night which i did not know, that a lot of our seeds come from China anyway. As a lot of people this year are complaining about seed germination and strange looking plants, it makes you think about buying from firms like Real seeds and the like, which i intend to do for next year.

xx
Strawberries just arrived in post

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 22:43
by fatcat1955
xx
Seeds Just Arrived

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2008, 22:08
by cawdor2001
xx
Seeds have arrived!!

Started by marklad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 03:23
by SkipRat
xx
Asparagus pea seeds arrived this morning

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 20:43
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 41 queries.