tomatoes

• 14 Replies

jambop

tomatoes
« on: April 20, 2021, 12:07 »
 I don't know about others but my tomatoes are miles behind where the would normally be. I always sow my seeds second week of March and they are normally ready to go out second weekend in May but this year we have had a prolonged period of east winds... which are great for dry weather but a pain for cold nights which have really set them back. We have had a few night when I even empties the poly tunnel of tender plants for fear of a frost but although there were a few ground frosts nothing damaging came along. So it looks like it will be June for planting out this year... still loads of time for a good crop to form though.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 09:01 »
I have the opposite problem. Nice plants ready to go into the greenhouse, but the weatherman is predicting another cold spell  ::)

Like you, I am trusting in the ability of the plants to roll with the punches and produce in the end.

My outdoor ones are only just potted into 9cm pots so luckily are a few weeks behind.
30F72880-3A8B-4168-B92C-2C5275AC2FD2.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 09:17 »
Mine are like NS's and getting a bit unwieldy for the trips back and forth to the greenhouse each day!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 19:54 »
Mine are big too, about 15-18cm tall and raring to go. If I was in Spain for example they’d be in the ground now. I hope they can hang in there for another 4 weeks.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:19 »
We have eighty-five toms on the go in the GH at the moment (lots for chums etc), and the largest is only five inches high, while the smallest is only just forming its secondary leaves! The heater only comes on when there's a fear of frost.

The 'Sun Gold' were poor in germinating, so we only got six, and they're turning dark green/blue, which I don't care for very much! The 'Shirley' aren't that much better, but the 'San Marzano' are beginning to wave their arms about, and the 'Tiger stripe' are just plodding along without any enthusiasm, so I just put it all down to these cold snaps (like a day or so ago, as well as last week), and hope that these chaps will all see reason!

I might buy a cucumber today, to teach them all a lesson...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 13:07 »
I think hit n miss for me this year, got caught out by a frost that wasnt forcast sow have had to sow some more but reckon they will catch up, others seem ok and coming in nicely at mo.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 10:35 »
I've put a couple of replaceable tomatoes out there this morning, plus a spare pepper plant.   They will be in the mini plastic greenhouse inside the main greenhouse.  The minimum temperatures in there are holding a bit about the outside ones, so we will see  :unsure:

I have fleece on standby as an extra precaution.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 12:23 »
I started 3 varieties from seed during the winter, and of those plants, I'm keeping roughly a half dozen each of Better Boy, Gardener's Delight, and Roma. I'll probably give the remaining plants to friends an neighbors.

The selected plants are roughly 18 cm tall. They are in nursery pots, not in the ground yet. Mostly this is because our weather has been quite variable, with cold snaps down to freezing or close to it, and also dry.

Right now, all my plants are in the garage, we are expecting heavy rain today, with a risk of large hail. I hope to have them in the ground in a week or two.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Linnie

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 14:47 »
We're having some very odd goings on with our greenhouse toms this year.  Several of the plants have decided that the growing tip really wants to turn into an odd-looking flower instead!  Some are Tigerella, some other varieties but all should be nice tall cordon varieties, not little stunty bush ones.
I'll try and add a photo but I'd be really grateful if anyone knew what the problem is.
Thank you.
20210511_161343.jpg

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 17:17 »
As usual I planted too many and they all germinated. They are doing well and are 6-9 inches tall and desperately need potting on. But as its been so cold I have not been able to plant anything out so don't have any space.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 18:12 »
Mine were looking fine and 30+ cm tall in the beds yesterday, but a cold hard rain knocked them all down this morning, leaves are a bit chopped up.  We are expecting a chill down to 8°C each of the next 3 nights. The plants won't like it but I expect they'll recover.

Now I need to go out and get tomato stakes!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 18:14 by Subversive_plot »

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 18:57 »
Linnie - your tomato plant looks as if it is what they call "fasciated".  The stems tend to grow flat and wide, and the flowers are distorted.  It happens to lots of plants, and one of the causes is stress.  I don't know is the extreme variation in day and night time temperature could initiate this, or being too hot and dry or perhaps some damage or infection.  One of my courgette plants had this last year, and I had some very interesting looking courgettes from it.   Perfectly edible, but definitely weird looking.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 19:16 »
We're having some very odd goings on with our greenhouse toms this year.  Several of the plants have decided that the growing tip really wants to turn into an odd-looking flower instead!  Some are Tigerella, some other varieties but all should be nice tall cordon varieties, not little stunty bush ones.
I'll try and add a photo but I'd be really grateful if anyone knew what the problem is.
Thank you.

That looks like a bit of a 'sport', Linnie, and well done you!

If you sowed the seed early, I guess that you've jumped the gun and may well have a super crop - as long as you can keep the little chap(s) happy and cared for!

Let us know how you get on, as I've never seen flowers this early! Great pic - thank you!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 19:22 »
Let us know how you get on, as I've never seen flowers this early! Great pic - thank you!

I suppose because they stayed indoors in the warm for so long, but, my small bush tomatoes have flowers, as do a few of my pepper plants  :ohmy: I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow.....

Linnie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 19:31 »
Jaydig and Growster, thank you very much for the replies, my beloved was all for ripping them out and starting again so I'm glad it's nothing terminal!
They certainly went in early - he is a little bit obsessed with his tomatoes and chillies (I am allowed enough greenhouse space for a pair of cucumbers) and they get greeted before me when he comes home!

xx
Dry set on Tomatoes

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:04
by azubah
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 22:12
by Oliveview
xx
tomatoes

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 09:07
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
6c due - tomatoes

Started by Dan Byrne on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2020, 11:31
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 55 queries.