Manure and weed suppressing fabric

• 11 Replies

Jackypam

Manure and weed suppressing fabric
« on: October 05, 2013, 00:22 »
I've ordered some well rotted manure from a friend with horses ready for when I've cleared a couple of my raised beds.  I'm thinking I'll then cover with weed fabric.  Can i put the fabric over the manure as soon as it is down?  And will the worms still do the job?  Never used the fabric on the plot before, only under shrubs and paths.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure and weed suppressing fabric
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 00:40 »
I wouldn't use fabric over manure - let the weather do its job.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:10 »
I don't understand what benefit there is in allowing the winter weather to work on well-rotted manure.  But I'm ready to learn.

I do heap organic waste in bands and cover with fabric over winter to protect my clay soil.  It produces a no-dig soil by Spring.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:31 »
If your soil is very clay the manure is probably better very roughly dug in and left uncovered to let frost break down the lumps and speed up the incorporation of the manure to help improve the structure of the soil.

If your soil is sandy I'd leave manuring (if properly rotted) until early spring because it has a tendency to disappear over winter in such soils (although not so much if just spread on top.)

Can't see the point of covering with weed fabric for the winter - few weeds germinate and grow in winter, and when you remove it in spring they will make up for lost time anyway.  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:02 »
Fair comment JayG, but....

The fleece keeps the stuff beneath warm.  Warmth induces weed seed germination (for those species which don't also require light) so there's some cleaning of the stuff over winter.

The warmth also helps with decomposition - not much benefit if the manure is truly well-rotted - the stuff we'd all willingly sell our children into slavery for - but I find truly well-rotted manure difficult to find!

Best wishes

Totty

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 14:38 »
Clay soil, and the clumps that come with it, don't need protecting from the winter. It needs exposing to it. Allowing it to break up naturally along with any manure, compost, etc.
Also, if you have undug clay soil, by covering with manure for one season will not create a "no dig" environment, it will just be an area of clay soil that is covered by rich organic matter.

Totty

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 14:48 »
I cover my beds with manure and then cover with heavy duty weed membrane. Apart from the fact that I have extremely sandy soil my reasoning is as follows:
1) stops weed seeds blowing across from neighbouring plots and getting a head start over me.
2) keeps the soil warmer ready for a quick start in spring
3) soil under only requires a quick forking over before planting as the worms have pulled most of it down
4) in the event of a dry spring the soil under remains moist and doesn't dry out.
5) I can uncover a bit at a time

I find it works for me and as far as I'm concerned makes the Spring a little less hectic.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 15:33 »
It rather depends on your soil type whether or not to cover after manuring. On raised beds, the soil is usually good so in spring any weeds can easily be pulled out with roots intact.

On my clay soil I leave it exposed all winter for the worms who are busy underneath.

If I had well rotted manure, I'd apply it in spring before planting because it's ready to go and at full strength.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 16:02 »
Yes, I have the same mindset as Nikkithefoot.

Just to clarify my point, although my soil is clay it is well-managed clay, receiving annual applications of organic matter, or deep layers of waste,  not trodden, so it undergoes no discernable compaction, and was last forked over years ago.  I'm a stranger to heavy clods, my soil crumb is good.

Best wishes

Tom

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 19:44 »
I'm with Nikki on this

Just shows that there are several ways to the same end ..... just depends what suits individual circumstances and preferences  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 21:12 »
One winter I covered a small area with heavy duty black membrane which another plot holder gave me,  I had a wonderful crop of large orange and small black slugs (the ones that attack potatoes) never again!

My soil is clay, with the addition of garden compost and stable manure, it always does best when left rough after digging and the frost has done it's work!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Jackypam

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 22:33 »
Lots of heartfelt advice. Thanks 

xx
Black weed suppressing fabric

Started by Charlotte Sainsbury on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2021, 19:49
by Mr Rotavator
xx
Weed suppressing membrane

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 13:42
by woodburner
xx
Weed suppressing advice needed

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 06:40
by Growster...
xx
Another weed fabric question

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 16:48
by crh75

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.