egg incubating

• 3 Replies

Hamishbyrne

egg incubating
« on: January 18, 2012, 15:27 »
My duck has started laying some eggs, at first i couldn't find them but yesterday I noticed the one of my old chicken hens is sitting on them.  As neither the ducks or the chicken has ever raised young before, I am a bit worried that any chicks emerging might be killed, has anyone any advice?  I am not in possesion of an incubator at the moment but plan on getting one soon.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: egg incubating
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 19:09 »
She is unlikely to harm any eggs that hatch whether they are ducks or chicks, but you don't mention if you have a drake or a cockerel running with them - if you haven't then no eggs will ever hatch as they won't have been fertilized.    :wub:
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Mickle

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23 »
My duck has started laying some eggs, at first i couldn't find them but yesterday I noticed the one of my old chicken hens is sitting on them.  As neither the ducks or the chicken has ever raised young before, I am a bit worried that any chicks emerging might be killed, has anyone any advice?  I am not in possesion of an incubator at the moment but plan on getting one soon.
Hello Hamisbyrne
If she's sat tight seperate her and the eggs she's sitting off to one side out of the way of other fowl and preferably in a small enclosed coop big enough for her, situated on the ground, you can make a little nest for her comfort and to keep the eggs from rolling out of contact.
The earth will supply the humidity required.
Remove her morning and evening for food and water and allow her to dust bath, if she's a good sitter she will want to get straight back at it.
You can then use the incubator as back up should she get bored.

Shaving the beaks will make them look a little more like chickens and also cut down on the food bills ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58 »
I have never had a cockerel attack any chicks that my hens have hatched. Usually I keep the broody hen in a separate coop for a week after hatching but as mine free range I have had some hatch in the hedgerows and they have joined the others when they are just 1 and 2 days old.
The only thing you will have to do is to get the ducklings into shallow water so they can get their feathers water proofed. Hopefully somebody who has had hens hatch ducklings will soon be along to let you know how they have done this part  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Incubating

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 23:46
by iwantanallotment
xx
New to incubating

Started by madbantamlady on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 22:32
by technobob
xx
incubating....

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 15:51
by Craigx
xx
egg incubating day 16

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 20:15
by AL Hathaway

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 36 queries.