New member with chicken crop/neck/throat proiblem - advice please

• 15 Replies

richienat

Hi all,

I have just checked on my hens, and one of them seems to have some kind of problem with her neck - almost as if she has something like a twig or something similar stuck horizontally in her throat.  It is most definately solid  - and is causing her to sit rather quietly rather than try and jump into my arms.....it would be my favourite hen of course.

Could it be a blocked crop, but feels a little high....advice would be appreciated as really not sure on course of action.  Waiting for advice from vet, but I'm also a little concerned about the potential expense.
Thanks in advance

Rich
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 17:24 by richienat »

Hawthorn Harry

Have you had a good but gentle feel around the area.  A bit of gentle probing might reveal exactly what you suspect.  If that is the case then you have a number of options:

1.  Go to the vet.
2. DIY inspection.
3. Add a bit of veg oil and see what happens.
4. As above and turn her upside down and massage very gently.
5. Leave well alone and see what happens.

Option 1. will always be the winner for some, but occasionally you just need to do what feels right.
Option 5. is usually out of the question.

Await further opinion and then decide......

richienat

hi - thanks.....I'm off for another check.....she is not moving around at all now so it must be really stressing her out - as it would do !......I'll massage a little but it does feel like a twig so dont wanna pierce anything or really hurt her.

Also waiting on vets advice still if he rings after his surgery.

Hawthorn Harry

A squirt of oil might just help to lube her up a bit.  It won't resolve the real problem of having an obstruction but it could just make her more comfortable.

I know it's a long shot but if she lets you hold her can you have a look down her throat?  You never know, you may be able to spot something...Good Luck

richienat

Just checked,  .....i have felt about a bit more and I reckon it might be her crop that is full - and that because of this, shes sticking her throat out more which is the solid 'twig' thing.........I have massaged around a little and she feel like there is a lump now thats pliable and actually feels squidgey......her crop?

I'll see what happens with a little more massage and oil....how do you normally administer any oil??  syringe?

Hawthorn Harry

Syringe is the nice way - but anyway is good!!  If things are softening and she seems comfortable - let her rest and see what happens.  Is she a free range model?  It is amazing what can get ground-up in the crop. 

Is she responding to you?

richienat

hi.

she is just stood around looking lethargic and closing her eys on and off.

I have picked her up and massged around which didnt make her go mad - or flap or anything.   As a novice (clearly!) is her crop likely to actually feel like it has the grain and food in there?  it feels like one of those old hacky sack things people used to play wityh years ago, or astrss ball.  Is that it?! 

Once I've had a massage she seems to have a wander slowly for a few minutes and a try at a peck....then back to the statue impression.

I'm guessing that as its evening I'll put her in tonight if she doesnt make it on her own and hopefully things will be resolved one way or the other in the morning!

Hawthorn Harry

The hackey sack is exactly right - she has a full crop.  Give her sometime - overnight - and see how she goes.  I presume the light is fading and as it does so will she, sleep-wise!!!!  Put her away for the night and send a report 1st thing in the morning.  On this forum you are never alone!!

richienat

Thanks......I just said to my wife that if it had been my dog I'd have been to the vet quicksmart......and maybe thats wrong!.....but anyway - thanks for the advice in my first chicken novice panic!!!

Have a good evening.

Hawthorn Harry

Good Luck :)

dizzylizzie

Re: New member with chicken crop/neck/throat proiblem - advice please
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 20:19 »
hi, it sounds like a full crop to me too. you should be able to feel grity things in there, thats what helps grind/break up the food. Are you offering grit seperatly? If your hens are free ranging they should pick up grit from the ground, but most of us offer them it n a bowl also :)
As regards what you said about the vet..surely you should be giving the same treatment to your girls as you give to your other animals. If you know how to treat them your self, as many on here do, all well and good. But if you are the novice you say you are, and your girls are ill, they really do deserve the same medical treatment that you would offer for your other pets. Vets bill are to be expected with all animals, chickens are no exception.

richienat

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:17 »
morning all  -   chicken update....

Have checked her out this morning and she has passed a large soft egg - loads of extra goo and fluid with it, loads of wet poo with yellow mucus as well - lovely.   Has been up and about for a while - and now deciding to take a break.....seems like she is basically knackered - and having read otrher posts about being eggnound, it seems it can take them a few days to get over it - if that s actually what it was......maybe the full crop was a red herring and actually the sticking in her throat was her straining away.....we'll see how she perks up, otherwise the vet will be taking advantage of Mr Visa card.  Still a little worried, but hopeful

thanks

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 08:37 »
Just caught up with your post.  Glad to hear things seem to have started moving again.  Keep us posted on her progress.

Good Luck

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:35 »
see if the vet will give her a calcium inj. calcium is need both in laying egg shell and to help the muscles associated with laying. Stop all treats for a few weeks, including mixed corn and ensure her diet consists of good quality layers pellets,it will help to have oyster shell ad lib too.
This will help her naturally buld up reserves of calcium and minerals needed for laying. :)

nzdunn

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 10:27 »
see if the vet will give her a calcium inj. calcium is need both in laying egg shell and to help the muscles associated with laying. Stop all treats for a few weeks, including mixed corn and ensure her diet consists of good quality layers pellets,it will help to have oyster shell ad lib too.
This will help her naturally buld up reserves of calcium and minerals needed for laying. :)

just wanted to ask something, can you give the calcium yourself, for my guinea pigs sometimes when a sow has had a bad birth i give her a syringe full of osteocare for added calcium,  could you give a chook it also orally if needed.   nickyx

xx
Hen making gurgling noise, stretches neck sometimes, lump in throat

Started by SamT on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 23:16
by barley
xx
neck stretching & squashy enlarged crop?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:23
by lucylou
xx
chicken with wonky neck

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 13:06
by Fannyann
xx
neck stretching chicken!!!

Started by chesh on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 21:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 28 queries.