Courgette Cookathon

• 5 Replies

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
Courgette Cookathon
« on: July 14, 2013, 20:43 »
After picking over 30 courgettes in the last week and a slow uptake by work colleagues to take them off my hands (they probably remember last year where the tea room was 'drowning' in Courgettes and French beans  :blink: I decided that today I would try a number of different recipes to try and use up my large stash. There seems to be no point in taking them into work if no one wants them and after the effort of getting courgettes to a stage where they are productive it seems a waste to not use them. So I have tried three new recipes which are;

Recipe 1: Courgette bread, I have never made any type of bread before but I think it came out ok :).
It did require 10 minutes extra cooking time as I clearly hadn't drained out enough water from the courgettes before adding them. Next time I will make it with seeds in to give it some crunch.

Recipe 2: Spicy courgette soup. I didn't know if this would come out being plain and boring, the main ingredients are courgettes (lots of them) and an onion. I usually cook Courgette, Potato and Cheddar cheese soup but thought I would do something a bit different. It was surprisingly really nice with so few ingredients and had a good flavour and a great way of using up a large quantity of courgettes.

Recipe 3: Chickpea, courgette and spinach curry. All I can say is Yummy, even my 'if there's no meat in it, it isn't a meal' boyfriend came into the kitchen for a sniff and taste (of the sauce). Will have to put chicken in next time to tempt him.

Well out of the 30 courgettes I had managed to amass, I only have two left!  :) Well until Weds, when I'll probably be picking another 12-15 at least...  :D

Beetroot queen

Re: Courgette Cookathon
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 20:45 »
I did a courgette chutney which was looking great till i burnt it but that takes 4lb in one go.  :D

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 20:50 »
I was just reading your recipe :) I think the next batch will have to be earmarked for chutney. How many jars does it make?

The soup used 2lbs, bread 1lb and threw the remainder minus the two large ones into the curry. It's a good job I like courgettes  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 20:51 »
I was just reading your recipe :) I think the next batch will have to be earmarked for chutney. How many jars does it make?

The soup used 2lbs, bread 1lb and threw the remainder minus the two large ones into the curry. It's a good job I like courgettes  :lol:

Not sure i would estimate 10 small 8oz jars mine never got to the potting stage  ::) next time i am removing the doorbell batteries

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 21:08 »
If I could, I would remove boyfriend, 3 kittens, the boxer dog, telephone and doorbell, I would get more done without them in the same house! 

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 00:37 »
I make "carrot" cake using the yellow courgette varieties.  Courgette muffins are good too  :)

xx
Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

Started by mellowmick on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

56 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 00:44
by mashauk
xx
Val's Courgette Pie

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 23:19
by John
xx
courgette jam

Started by gert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:05
by Maryann
xx
Courgette Tian

Started by Potterer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 30, 2021, 12:19
by Potterer

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.