Electric saws

• 12 Replies

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Electric saws
« on: September 22, 2009, 13:46 »
This is sort of garden related I'm looking to buy a circular saw as part of my tool kit for building stuff for the garden and lottiie.

I would prefer to buy new second hand stuff could have been hammered. I suppose the budget is about £50 max.

Can anybody give some advice

Ta
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

noshed

Re: Electric saws
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 16:14 »
I had a Bosch one I got somewhere on special offer. I did build a shed with it funnily enough but you have to be really careful if you're using seconhand wood because of the nails. You can easily chip a blade.
Quite a crude instrument and very dangerous. I gave it to my friend in the end.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 16:53 »
I bought a "challenge extreme" bench top saw from argos about three years ago. I think it was about £55.
Great bit of kit, I haven't killed it yet, I was so impressed, I bought the metal chop off saw as well. ;)

philskin

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 19:09 »
dont laugh but aldi,s sometimes have some cracking bench saws for around the 50 quid mark they look the business , be carefull about buying a circular saw in the wrong hands there dangerous but if this is what your looking for then buy the smallest sized one you can with a decent power the bigger they are the harder they are to hold when they snatch, and they will snatch
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 20:25 »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm aware power tools need care I've been using them on and off for about 35 years I think a circular saw is the only one I've never owned.

Ta

2peasinapod

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 23:41 »
after fer to many years in the joinery side of the building trade I would say top of the tree for circular saws is Makita, then Dewalt and Bosch and then your B&D, Ryobi ect and then the shop special and no name stuff.

if its only gona be used once a year to do a small light job, cheap and chearfull will do, also the blade is more important than the saw, more teath = better/cleaner/easier cut.

HTH Mark.
dont permissum dandelions frendo vos down.

If it cant be pulled by hand,
1; its not ready
2; use a landrover...

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 16:47 »
My OH won a circular saw (cheapy brand) just before we moved here and we thought, great, just what we'll need for renovations. Also bought a Delta table saw on clearance for some cabinetmaking. Despite the circular's ease and mobility, we always seem to use the table saw for accuracy and for nipping off just that tiny bit too much. Probably because it's always set up and ready. And as 2peas points out, the blade makes the difference as well. And definitely watch for hidden nails, staples, brads, bullets, pellets, etc in used wood. I invested in a special metal detector for wood and haven't regretted it.

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 19:58 »
hitachi do one for just over 60 quid and its far better than a cheap no name it will keep going for a start
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 19:31 »
Just a thought - also watch out for the bore size for the blades, reduction rings are a waste of space.

If you're not buying something to bin when the first blade dulls (and theres nothing wrong with that) then buy a decent make at least then you'll have no problem with replacement / different function blades.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:09 »
Not sure its relevant / what you want, but I have a Dewalt Alligator and find it very useful. Its an electric replacement for a hand saw - will also cut blocks etc (with a change of blade)

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW390/

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01 »
Thanks for all the advice guys nice to get different views,  It's a keeper not a throwaway so it will bw a name. I've seen a nice Ryobi for 44 quid so it's off to the shop when I get paid.

Thanks again

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:23 »
Check prices on the net if you know what you want.  Usually find Amazon, Screwfix or Argos  difficult to beat on prices for such items but they all tend to stock different makes and models.
John

siandc

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 16:46 »
I've got one of these.... they rock!  :D

xx
Electric or Petrol?

Started by Old Tom on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 10:05
by Old Tom
xx
electric propagators

Started by ilan on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 09:50
by Lawrence
xx
Electric Propagators

Started by jenricks on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2021, 00:54
by Fishplate42
xx
electric strimmers

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2006, 12:19
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 36 queries.