St Peter's Brewery

• 10 Replies

Asherweef

St Peter's Brewery
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:34 »
Morning,

I'm looking to get started in homebrew and I'm looking at the St Peter's Brewery starter kit, I think that I originally got this link from BobE (what happened to him???) so I'm under the impression that it's quite a reputable firm. I am wondering though whether it will give a good flavour and whether the kit is worth shelling out on. I do enjoy the St Peter's beers normally, but I know that they don't always correspond with homebrew.

I'm probably looking at ease of brew too as it will be my first attempt.

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/micro/complete-st-peters-starter-equipment-set.html

Any help would be appreciated =]

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Re: St Peter's Brewery
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:12 »
Customer comments seem positive, you'll really enjoy doing it and good advice about free postage too. :D

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 13:50 »
Thanks Tony - do you brew much?

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:00 »
Quite a bit, the son and heir does all grain brewing so I help out on "brewdays" usually clearing up as we go along and sampling previous brews,(the best part)
   I do a few kit beers myself sometimes adding different malts, or dry hopping during the process and get some interesting results plus we make quite a lot of cider every year.
   Have you seen the "brew in a bag" clips on You tube? I'm hoping to try that method later on in the year when I have a bit more time. ;)

Asherweef

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10 »
I haven't but will check them out! Do yu keg or bottle? I'm undecided  :unsure:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:06 »
That looks like a fair price Asherweef.  I started with something similar, and when you consider that the beer kit in itself can be £20+, it makes it very good value.

Mags  :)

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Asherweef

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:17 »
Sounds like a winner since it's payday on Monday! I am a little nervous...!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:30 »
Even I found them easy enough to make!  ::)  The only problem I have at this time of year is keeping a good, consistent temperature, as I don't like the house too warm overnight.  I've improvised now and use an old vivarium heat mat and an electric heat pad I bought for my back.  :lol:

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34 »
Hi Asher, I do both, I have four pressure barrels, One I bought from "Boots" in the 70's and three we bought second hand four years ago, I usually have two for cider and two for kit beers, (the son and heir uses corney kegs with a large co2 bottle) I use lemonade bottles (p.e.p. bottles) for bottling then throw them away after been used three times.
 Just had a thought, I have fitted pressure gauges to the pressure barrels (just drilled a hole in the lid) I like to keep an eye on the pressure after priming the keg and keep it at about 10lbs/sq.inch. to avoid damaging the keg.Hope that helps. ;)

Asherweef

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 07:50 »
Sounds good - I'll order the kit on mon/tues subject to approval from swmbo!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 20:37 »
I shouldn't be heating anything to ferment. Any room in the average house will be from 17-21C which is more or less ideal. Too warm and you get off flavours, colder will just slow fermentation down. I brewed two batches of beer today and I'm actually worried I don't have a place cool enough to ferment them!

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.