Killing pests

• 3 Replies

p-robin-g

Killing pests
« on: July 11, 2010, 15:28 »
Hi there,

new to the grow your own scene this year, I've built a couple of raised beds, doing basic stuff such as salad leaves, onions carrotts etc. My grandad has been helping me out with his experience! Things have been doing great until the last couple of weeks where I seem to have been infested with several pests, such as (I think!) blackfly, ants etc. and they seem to be eating everything. My grandad had something in his shed which he said would get rid of most things, but it looks very old to me, its some kind of powder and its called DDT. Would this be OK to use? He has been right on everything so far but I just wanted to check this.

Thanks in advance!

PRG

Ropster

Re: Killing pests
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 15:40 »
i wouldnt put DDT an anything i was going to eat, Im fairly sure it was banned a long time ago

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 16:18 »
DDT was banned in the 70s I think  :ohmy: very very nasty stuff is DDT ...........

Ant's don't do any harm, but you usually find them where there is black or greenfly. You can use a little washing up liquid in water to spray against these...you will have to repeat every few days. There are a few chemical sprays you can use against bugs....look in places like Wilkinson's but make sure it is one for vegetables  ;)

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 18:34 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. DO NOT use DDT, it has been illegal for adout 50 years. There are plenty of modern, SAFE solutions for pest control. You have ants because they are " farming " the aphids. Neither pest is actually eating the plants, so a bit more info would be helpful if you have holes in the leaves. :D

clip
Pests

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 13:25
by Dr_Pepper
exclamation
LITTLE PESTS

Started by JOnDAVE on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 13:25
by arugula
question
Pests?

Started by LEW on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 23:08
by LEW
xx
pests

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:55
by Faz

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.