killing slugs.

• 9 Replies

BELLS PLOT

killing slugs.
« on: August 06, 2009, 19:53 »
hi,i know iam not the only one with problems with slugs and snails but has anyone got any tips please.i use slug pellets bit not that keen because my kids go down the plot a lot.someone did mention copper but been new to the alottment i dont have a clue.

daveypark

Re: killing slugs.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 20:05 »
The missus uses a sharpened cane to spear them.

I can't watch.  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 20:13 »
You will find loads of posts if you use the search facility link near the top of the page, but here are two for starters

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=37826.0

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=36551.15
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 20:19 »
There are a few ways of tackling the problem, sink empty containers into the ground and pour in some ale, they are particularly attractive to slugs and snails. they fall in and drown, they are called slug pubs, as you rightly say you can use copper. You buy it in rings or as lengths (I think)  this method is better for plants in pots or containers. Not sure how it works, but the slugs dont like it. I think it might be a small electrical charge, but dont quote me on that.  You can use egg shells, holly leaves sand etc, anything sharp to the slug, that they dont like to cross. For this to work you need rather a lot so probably not viable on an allotment. You could try going out when its damp and hand picking them, put them in a bucket to dispose of somewhere, preferably not on someone elses plot! Or going out and pouring salt on them when you find them. You state that you dont want to use slug pellets because of your children, are they likely to eat them? Just a few suggestions, Tatty

Kagganz

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:31 »
I used nematodes in May when I was infested with them and haven't seen a bloomin' one until last Tuesday (an 'ickle one).  I grow in my garden though so it would probably cost a fortune to do it on an allotement!! 

I've also used the beer traps from the pound shop (wait for it)  ;) in the front garden and have trapped loads and loads of the little blighters in them overnight........I found that I needed to use a good lager and not the weak cheap stuff  :tongue2:

xx

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:35 »
We also have kids (and cats) (all very young) and so were equally cautious about putting anything in the garden, but a lot of slug pellets are now 'cat and child friendly'. You can also get something called slugone (sluggone?) which is recycled wool made into pellets, apparently slugs dont like the texture and the wool breaks down in the soil. Havent tried it, but might give it a spin next year. Search for it online, it comes in bucket fulls and seems fairly reasonably priced.

veggies

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:34 »
Hi I would'nt mind falling into the pub......can you put fresh larger in and keep the slugs out please till i get there.......lol.....hahaha

lucylike

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 13:20 »
I've used Slug Gone this year as it was a present from my inlaws. I'd say it worked as I had hardly any slug problems and it also kept rabbits and deer away from digging up my plants. The other plus is that the plants get a good nutrition boost at the same time, some of mine were growing like mad. However, you do need quite a lot of that stuff as you have to put a thick ring of pellets around each plant. You can always give it a try next year.

Natalie Patch

• www.widdlerswee.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 15:02 »
I swear by Slugkiller. It can be used with organic growing. Can get it from homebase

Here is its spec:

Can be used around children and pets as it only targets slugs.

Suitable for organic gardening.

Fully biodegradable.

Hope that helps.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 15:21 »
I have used copper tape around my 3 half barrels where I grow mainly lettuce and this has worked well.  No slug/snail damage at all whereas last year they feasted on my salad leaves.  When slug/snail try to pass over the copper a small electric charge is emitted.  I have tried the organic slug pellets, but these did not work at all, slugs still enjoyed a good meal of my bright lights chard.  I still use, sparingly, slug pellets around tender small plants that I plant in the ground, as I am plagued with slugs.  I have noticed that there aren't as many snails around this year, but many more slugs.

xx
Beer is best for killing slugs

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 00:41
by viettaclark
xx
Killing Greenfly

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 21:34
by superpete
xx
Killing pests

Started by p-robin-g on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 18:34
by DavidT
xx
something is killing my cucumbers

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 20:37
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 39 queries.