greenhouse size query

• 31 Replies

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 11:38 »
Right, now there's materials to consider. Did a bit more reading, found that a greenhouse derives a lot of its stability from its weight, and that polycarbonate is much more flimsy than toughened glass in this respect. This will be my first ever greenhouse, so sorry for all the questions  :oops: Horticultural glass shatters like normal glass, i want to go for toughened. What do you think?

WG.

greenhouse size query
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:45 »
toughened is very much more expensive

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48 »
Quote from: "WG."

is it??! arrrgh!

how have you fared in these storms WG? I hear its been very bad where you are.

WG.

greenhouse size query
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 11:51 »
Could you speak up a bit please!  The wind is still really howling & I am in a sheltered glen.

Thanks for asking - all okay so far.

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 12:18 »
Quote from: "WG."

Not always - in the price list here the polycarbonate option is roughly 200 quid more than toughened glass.

WG.

greenhouse size query
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 12:22 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Horticultural glass shatters like normal glass, i want to go for toughened.
I naturally assumed you were comparing prices of glass having rejected polycarbonate on grounds of its low weight.

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 12:29 »
ahh sorry for the confusion. Yes toughened is dearer by about 100 quid. But i'm accident-prone  :oops:

Scribbler

greenhouse size query
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 12:31 »
I know you're in Southend, but if you ever get up this way, these are the people to go and talk to.

http://www.berkshirebuildings.ltd.uk

In fact people do come from all over the country to see them. It's where we got ours.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 12:38 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
I know you're in Southend, but if you ever get up this way, these are the people to go and talk to.

http://www.berkshirebuildings.ltd.uk

In fact people do come from all over the country to see them. It's where we got ours.

cheers Scribbler, looks good, large choice!. Hmm theres no prices on the website. Which one did you get? Did you get them to build it or did you do it yourself? Did you get a base? How much did you pay for it all?

I'm looking to get either 8x6 or 8x8, with a base, probably built, 5 or 600 quid

Scribbler

greenhouse size query
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 13:41 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
cheers Scribbler, looks good, large choice!. Hmm theres no prices on the website. Which one did you get? Did you get them to build it or did you do it yourself? Did you get a base? How much did you pay for it all?

I'm looking to get either 8x6 or 8x8, with a base, probably built, 5 or 600 quid

We coincidentally had money given to us from both sets of parents with the express purpose of buying a greenhouse, so we went for expensive extras. It was an Elite High Eave 6 x 8, and we managed to put this up ourselves despite the rather vague instructions.

The base is in fact a rectangular aluminium frame which bolts together, featuring pieces of 90° aluminium which go down into holes in the ground, which you then fill with concrete. Bare earth means you can then pave where necessary/required.

The expensive extras we went for were:

Green powder coating on the aluminium frame
Special strips to hold the glass in instead of clips
Toughened glass
Automatic vents
Staging along one side and along the end
A louvre vent in the back for better air circluation

If you lose the powder coating, the fixing strips, the automatic vents, the staging and louvre, it would cost a lot less than ours. Total bill was a couple of grand. Automatic vents are a bolt on goodie that can be bought afterwards.

I really recommend that although you can do so much research online - with help from this forum - your best bet is to sit down with someone and tell them how big a greenhouse you want and what your budget is. Then they can probably give you what you want.

Elite is a good manufacturer, but there are others who compete strongly on price, with different pricing structures etc.

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 17:41 »
Quote from: "tallulah"
Hi Mushroom - I'm expecting my new greenhouse on Thursday; its a 6x10 with high eaves.  I spent hours, days, weeks trying to decide which size!  I nearly went for a 6x8 but those words kept rattling around my little head 'buy the biggest, buy the biggest, buy the biggest'  so I did.  Any bigger wouldn't fit in the garden - well not without rehoming the hens!  Good luck with your decision.

I've decided on 8x6 (or 6x8! ) - it will go here - that way i still get to keep my grass patch for bbq in the summer. The shed to the right of it is also 8x6

mushroom

greenhouse size query
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 17:48 »
Thank you Scribbler for your full description and answer.

Total bill was a couple of grand.

[fx] falls off stool [/fx]

gobs

greenhouse size query
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 19:43 »
Oh common , Mushy, most of us have a working green house and we don't shop in ELITE and don't live in Henley-So-Expensive, like Scribbler, the 'gentry'. :lol:

My sister-in-law bought a lean to 2 years ago for 750, with air vent etc. and it works a treat. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
greenhouse size query
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 19:50 »
Mine cost just over £100, but that was before the days of Freecycle!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

geek

greenhouse size query
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 22:57 »
we got an 8ft x 12ft one out of the paper for £100,buyer to remove
lucky enough i had to go into hospital on that day so me mate went for it :D

xx
Greenhouse query

Started by pipfit on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 15:53
by Roll Roll
xx
Lean to greenhouse help / 6x3 size anywhere?

Started by dougens on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2021, 20:15
by dougens
xx
SWA Armoured cable for greenhouse What size cleats?

Started by 8ace on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 19:56
by 8ace
xx
yet another paraffin query

Started by ihusker on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 10:30
by sandra d

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.