Brussels failure

• 19 Replies

bigginge

• Experienced Member
Re: Brussels failure
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 15:41 »
I put the manure down in autumn and my wife dug it in in the spring (I sat with my plastered leg up with a glass of wine). Next time I'll check the ph of the soil and maybe add some lime. It's just irritating that the first year we just put them in quickly as we'd only just taken the plot on and got a good yield. This time I really tried to do everything right -and got nothing. Oh well, c'est la vie, and next year will be better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 15:45 »
It may have been better to have dug it in during the autumn if needed digging in during the spring. A lot of folk say to leave it on top and let the worms take it down. I'm not convinced this works all the time and this is a case in point.

Wonderful thing though, hindsight. Hope you have better luck this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigginge

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 15:52 »
Thanks, I'm sure we will. And thanks to all who've replied.

Christine

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 18:09 »
We're on clay here and always have to add lime to get brassicas of all sorts to set away.

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 13:59 »
you may be rite DD in what your saying about the manure but in 2009 i spread fresh horse dung on the plot without any problem and we had good results  that's why I'm surprised they basically stopped growing this last season as Ive said on brassicas on this site i mostly grow F1seed to hopefully to get a results that's not saying non hybrids are no good its just my preference :mellow:

I've read read the vegetables /brassicas advise on site  which is basically what I've been doing for years so this year i am going to try another way I've put dung on the plot already but i haven't ploughed the lottie yet till the better weather comes and my plan this time is to set a variety of brassicas both F1'S and non hybrid seed  :unsure:

also being on another part of the lottie with crop rotation and  giving the plants a liquid feed throughout there growing period may help i think its a suck it and see bas-sis :( but thanks for all your replies

xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
Onion Failure

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 14:33
by Goosegirl
clip
Potato Failure..

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 21:12
by Aidy
xx
garlic failure

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 23:36
by peapod

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 36 queries.