Dumb dumb question about 3 compost bin system

• 10 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Dumb dumb question about 3 compost bin system
« on: September 01, 2014, 21:20 »
Right, thinking of making a 3 bin system out of pallets, back getting confused the more I read..... there seems, like most things in life, to be more than one way to do things.

Method #1: Say you are in your third year, which would mean bin 3 is lovely compost, bin 2 full of last years offering and covered, bin 1 is the one you are currently filling, so the following year you would starting filling bin 3.

Method #2: Start filling bin 1, after 6 months say, shovel it all over to bin 2,  another six months shovel it all over to bin 3.

Method one seems easier  :) but i presume method 2 makes compost quicker  :wub: have experienced composters found any preferences/tips/advantages.

many thanks
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

snowdrops

Re: Dumb dumb question about 3 compost bin system
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 21:27 »
I use & have used the 3 bin method for many years very successfully. I start at bin 1, then when full move to bin 2, & then bin 3. I find that the finished compost is ready to use the following spring after starting the spring before. I try to turn it for the last time between Shhh...(Yule tide) & New Year, a lovely job for a cold day. I am currently using pallets for my 3 bins & have previously used black dales but found that more difficult to empty & turn. Prior to that I had 3 side by side smaller bins that worked very well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 21:30 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 21:51 »
So you just fill 1, cover and move along, sounds the easiest way to me.  Out of interest (ive got another post asking about pallet compost bins), have you literally got 3/4 pallets together to make a bin, have you used any chicken wire, straw, plastic etc?

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 22:02 »
Not sure if I explained very well I fill bin 1, when full I turn it in to bin 2, then start to fill bin 1 again, when full, if there looks room I turn it in to bin 2, if not enough room I turn bin 2 into bin 3 & turn bin 1 in to the now empty bin 2. I don't use any straw or netting but lots of fresh manure that I use as layers in the bins to get the heat up. As for pallets I have 3 pallets at the back with 4 pallets as the dividers & sides like a letter E on its side with an extra bay added to one end
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 22:04 by snowdrops »

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 22:21 »
That sounds like the way I do it Snowy. Works for me!  :)

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 23:02 »
Snow, got ya seems logical to me, you only only empty/move along when the bin is full, not in a certain time frame.  What do you have at the front of you bins, to keep it all in, another pallet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:26 »
If you move/"turn" the compost from bin-to-bin the act of re-aerating it and mixing composting/un-composted material will kickstart the process again, that will increase the temperature (by encouraging bacteria to multiple, it is they that generate heat).  This will give you (done well!!) a Hot Composting process which will kill pathogens / weed seeds & roots, it will give you compost in a shorter period of time, sometimes a much shorter time, and it will give you a better, finer, product.  But ... :) ... it requires that you have the right mix of materials, and enough of it, to keep the heap going, or to build it [i.e. with enough material] in the first place.  A 1M cube is an idea size - enough material to generate the heat, but not so big that the centre is starved of air - huge commercial heaps are much bigger, but mechanically turned regularly.

Alternatively you can just chuck the material in your bin (or an unstructured heap) and leave it for a year.  It will compost using cold compost methods, although at times parts of it will get hot (when there is the right mix, and a decent amount, of material).  The compost is likely to be rougher - bits of stem still recognisable - but it is still useful on the garden.

I don't have the time or inclination to do the Hot Compost method - I did when I was younger, I have a very large garden now and everything just gets chucked in a huge pile, I start a new pile in the Spring and the use the old one in the Autumn.  I replace the greenhouse "soil" with a 50:50 mix of my rough compost and well rotted manure, and when THAT comes out of the greenhouse the following year it is beautiful fine potting compost used for things like over wintering Dahlias and Cannas in pots and earthing up Spuds in containers.

The cold compost method won't kill weed seeds, so important to pull up weed before they flower & set seed, and not to put any roots of pernicious weeds like Bindweed or Ground Elder in the heap (I put them in a large container of water for two weeks, and then I dilute the liquid and use it as a liquid feed and chuck the smelly rotting residue (of now-dead roots) on the compost heap.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:07 »
Can't really add anything to Kristen's excellent description - compost making isn't something which needs to be over-thought - clearly having only one container limits your options, 3 sounds ideal if they are big enough.

I have 3 daleks, and this is the time of year when the oldest stuff from the first 2 will join the nearly-ready stuff in the 3rd so I will have one binfull ready for use in spring (I don't 'deploy' it in autumn/winter because my soil is so light the compost tends to disappear!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:31 »
It's been interesting reading this as I have 3 daleks and I keep filling the first 2 up and every time I come back to fill up there is more room so something has to be happening in the bottom of the daleks. The one started last year had reduced to 50% volume over this year and I have now filled the 2nd to the top yet again.

So I'm at the point where I was contemplating what to do, go back and top up the 1st yet again and start filling the 3rd, But on reading this I may well dig it out and move it on to the 3rd. I can just see it being very messy as I will have to try and lift the dalek off the pile or dig it out of the top.

The alternative was to dig over my beds and spread it over the top, cover with weed membrane for the winter and let the worms do their thing and take it into the soil.

I have never put weed in the compost bins, it's all the vegetation from my produce plus some shredded paper and grass cuttings. I also have two leaf bins, in the 1st year I filled them both and then moved the material into one, last year I filled them both again, and I will again fill one with the other in readiness for this years collection.

Is it worth adding some leaf mould into the compost that is going into Bin 3, if I don't spread it over the beds?

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 09:53 »
The big advantage of daleks is the fact you should be able to easily lift them off leaving a perfect dalek-shaped 'compost pie' - provided you haven't mixed it recently you should also be able to see the strata of layers at different stages of decomposition. Choose your spot, slice off the layer/s you are going to put back in the same bin, fork the rest into the 3rd bin. With care the amount of effort is minimal and I don't expect it to take more than 20 minutes to top up the 3rd bin from the other 2, which then have room for all the autumn clearings from the garden.

I never know how best to use leaf mould - it takes such a long time to produce and is such lovely crumbly stuff, but I can't come up with an easy way to sterilise it, which I personally think would be necessary if using it to make or bulk up seed or potting compost, so it does tend to get used just as ordinary garden compost.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:53 »
It's been interesting reading this as I have 3 daleks and I keep filling the first 2 up and every time I come back to fill up there is more room so something has to be happening in the bottom of the daleks. The one started last year had reduced to 50% volume over this year and I have now filled the 2nd to the top yet again.

I would use them in rotation ... have one "filling" and when full then fill a different one (emptying it first).  As JayG said lifting off the Dalek should be doable - IME it might need shoulder-barging a few times, in different directions, to loosen it enough to then lift off.

You could cycle them round, so when a bin is full use that as the excuse/reminder to lift the top off the oldest, and the middle age one, and mix combine them into one, and then "turn" you youngest into the middle-age one.  At some point you will decide that the oldest one is "done" and treat that as a pile to be used, rather than re-incorporating it with the middle-aged one.  But that's verging on having a proper regime for making hot compost, so depends how much work you want, how desperately you want really good hot-bin compost (that's not to be sneezed at, just not all that easy to achieve IME).

The easier route is just to go with "Fill and then leave to itself", lift off the Oldest and site at a new position and start filling that (and use the stuff that came out of it).

I saw a YouTube of an award winning allotment holder. He had three bins, and when Bin A was full he emptied Bin C, turned B-to-C and then A-to-B; his bins were deliberately of different sizes, allowing for how much they would shrink during composting, so he didn't have the issue of "shall I combine the two oldest batches".  He had been doing it for years, everything was pristine and regimented, as you might expect for an award winner :), so that might be something to aspire too ... but aspiring to it is all that I, personal, intend to do about it!

Is it worth adding some leaf mould into the compost that is going into Bin 3

No, I wouldn't.  Waste of good leaf mould, and its bugs (fungus) are not the same as the ones needed kick-start the compost process (bacteria).  Would be better to put fresh manure in the compost bin to accelerate it - or Pee on it each day, that will make a big difference.

Leaf Mould is best for planting trees and shrubs with, it has similar fungi (and will stimulate the growth of them) to mycorrhizal fungi and they are expensive to buy. Good as a soil conditioner too, if you can make enough of it.

xx
Really dumb question

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 22:10
by sclarke624
xx
this may be a dumb question!

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 14:32
by gobs
xx
Dumb question here :)

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 09:22
by Snoop
xx
Dumb Carrot Question

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 20:53
by Cazzy

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.