omg omg omg! Excited and a little help please!

• 2 Replies

rosie14

omg omg omg! Excited and a little help please!
« on: May 17, 2012, 20:52 »
At around 8pm I lifted the broody Orpie for her twice daily stretch, poop and refreshments session and heard cheeping (I almost died of excitement lol!) I thought I heard a cheep this am but decided it must have been one of our many garden birds!

I saw 11 eggs instead of 12 I couldn't find the cheeping chick to begin with but I sadly I found a dead chick in the edge of the nest and 3 others from the Pekin eggs piping :) soooo happy just hope I get at least one survive if nothing else. I figure the bigger breed hens will be a little later like tomorrow if at all?

My Q. is her nest is quite deep with straw and I wondered *if the chick got trapped at the edge (but of course anything could have happened) I have removed 1/2 the straw bedding but not sure if this is enough  :wacko: what should I do? And do I really have to wait until morning before I can peek again? I wont be able to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :ohmy:

splash101

Re: omg omg omg! Excited and a little help please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 21:32 »
yeah, its soooo exciting.

Not sure about the nest, mine only have a layer of dust free shavings.
I tried them on shavings and straw when we first got them but for some reason they dont like the straw and completly removed it from not only the nest boxes but the coop too. Yet strangely they like it in their run
The chickens i've had in the past havent had a problem with the straw.

I'm sure your broody will rearrange the nest to suit her requirements.

We had one die too, i found it some way from the nest and if its any consolation we have also had eggs in the incubator that managed to hatch but didnt really make it any further. I think it was too exhausted.

You definatley wont be able to sleep, and dont plan on getting any work done for the next week or so  :D

Good luck with the rest of the hatch

rosie14

Re: omg omg omg! Excited and a little help please!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 21:59 »
thanks so much for your reply, I've been trying to find out what to do re the bedding and watching you tube clips endlessly lol and it's a real mix for real life broody hens (rather than brooding artificially) I guess as usual leave mama hen to it as she knows best.

Hurry up morning time!

xx
very excited !

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 22:48
by dawnie77
xx
Excited

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 10:46
by Aunt Rhody
xx
So excited

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 19:23
by Selkie
xx
really excited!!!!

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 18:48
by Sparkle

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 35 queries.