Schedule for new chicks ?

• 6 Replies

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
Schedule for new chicks ?
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:56 »
Hi all,

im looking to increase our flock by 8, we are hoping to get 8 RIR hen chicks as young as possible so we can watch them grow up.
Firstly how young can we get them and also ensure we have 8 hens and not cocks ?

Also I have been trying to find a rough guide as to how to rear them, they will begin their life here in a 4ft x 1.5ft fish glass tank. But at what age do you move them out of here and what into, when can they be allowed to venture outside (in an enclosed run) for example.

I know they seem like very simple questions but i just cant find a 'rearing schedule' that i can roughly follow. Currently we have 4 hybrids and have the room to keep them separate untill the right time to mix them.

Any advice would be fantastic,

thanks.

Casey76

Re: Schedule for new chicks ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:29 »
I haven't any personal experience with Rhodies, but as they are a uni colour breed, I would say you will have to wait until 10-12 weeks to be fairly sure of sex (looking for secondary sexual characteristics, pointed hackle feathers, larger comb and wattles etc), but even then it is not a guarantee.

To be 100% sure, buy birds which are in lay ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 13:12 »
I agree, difficult to sex younger than around 10 weeks at least, sometimes you can pick the boys out, but often find you have a macho hen instead!

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58 »
Thanks for your replies, its a pity as we really wanted to watch them grow from balls of fluff.
We like the RIR's as they have the characteristic look of the traditional chicken, am i correct in thinking that the pure breed chickens have a much longer laying life than hybrids? But would be happy to consider another breed with very similar looks if this would help the sexing of younger birds etc.
Any ideas? 

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:09 »
some birds can be sexed from birth if you google autosex hens then you will get a list, then google the photos and see any that you like.  We got four different chicks at one week old and had them under heat before integrating with our four older hens.  They all live happily together and all have their own characteristics.  It nice I think to see a mixed flock and different coloured hens is a bonus too
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 19:01 »
Thanks a million daisy, the Rhodebar looks like the one for us :)

And looking for breeders there is one near us too in leicester, they are a rare breed so im lucky to find them so close ( im in cov)

Thanks again !!

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:40 »
glad to help- enjoy your girls and dont forget to post pictures for us all to see

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 35 queries.