advice on run floor materials please

• 4 Replies

bullielover

advice on run floor materials please
« on: January 03, 2011, 20:17 »
Hi I am new to the forum but have already spent some time looking through all the posts. I am new to keeping chickens and am still in the process of setting up the coop. I,m looking for peoples thoughts on the different floor coverings for the run area. I am unable to place the run on grass in the short term and wondered what people thought of using course sand as a base. I,m also open to any other ideas/advice anyone can offer.

thanks
catherine
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 20:35 by Aunt Sally »

Jeanette

Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 20:27 »
I use bark that i get from B@Q the last time i bought some it was £5.60 approx and if you bought 3 bags you got the 4th free. It is easy to put down just throw the contents of the bag on the floor in the run stand back and the girls will soon be sorting it through for you. It is easy to keep clean and it helps to stop it getting to muddy. If possible have part of the run covered so that the food and water will stay dry and clean also the girls can stay under cover if they want. :)

bullielover

Re: advice please
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 20:34 »
Thanks for that Jeanette. I had thought about bark but thought it may have to be the kiddies playground type. Also wondered if the sand would be beneficial in that it would be quite absorbant hence easier to clean out, and being course sand it could be used as grit.

catherine

swedishchicken

Re: advice on run floor materials please
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 23:41 »
Hi
I use topsoil that I buy from b&q. They love bathing in it. It is fairly inexpensive and I can pick up their poop easily as it rolls in to a little ball. Also it helps with the ground not becoming poultry sick, if you have something that you can dig over.
Probably a good idea to have at least part of the run covered, for their protection as much as stopping it from becoming a mud bath :)
Good luck.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: advice on run floor materials please
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:04 »
I call the local tree surgeon and get a van load of shredded wood delivered at a time for around £20.

Its great as long as you have somewhere to kepp it!

xx
Best thing to lay on floor of the run? advice please

Started by stef Batterbee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 11:03
by Lewjam
xx
advice on chicken run floor needed!

Started by Angelina on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:12
by blossom1044
xx
Materials for Building Run

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 21:09
by grinling
xx
Bedding materials

Started by BigMark on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 20:16
by BigMark

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 38 queries.