Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes

• 71 Replies

mrs bouquet

Re: Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 11:24 »
SPICED CRANBERRY SHRUB

Shrub is a name which is borrowed from the Arabs, fruit sherbert drink.

Makes 4 glasses, and takes 5 mins, plus 1 hour to chill.

285ml cranberry juice
225ml dry cider
1 tbspn cider vinegar
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
2 strips lemon rind
12 ice cubes
570ml mineral water chilled
4 orange slices
1 small red skinned apple

Pour the cranberry juice into a stainless steel or enamel saucepan with the cider, vinegar, cloves and lemon rind.  Bring to the boil, then take off the heat.  Cover and leave for about 1 hour until cooled.
Strain the shrub into a jug, add the ice, mineral water and orange slices. At the last moment slice and add the apple.   Serve in chilled glasses.

For a slightly sweeter drink, use half and half cranberry and raspberry juice.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50 »
MELBA SUMMER PUDDING

Serves 4, prep time: 20 mins +30 mins to cool and overnight stand. Cooking time 10 mins

450gms ripe apricots, stoned and quartered
225gms peaches or nectarines, skinned, halved, stoned and sliced
60gms soft light brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
115gms redcurrants, topped and tailed
115gms raspberries
6 slices wholemeal bread (or white if you prefer) 1/4 inch thick, crusts removed
Sprigs of mint to decorate.

Put the apricots and peaches or nectarines in a saucepan with the sugar and water. Cook, covered over a moderate heat for 5 mins. until the fruit begins to soften. Gently stir in the redcurrants and raspberries, and cook until the juice turns red, but the fruit remains whole.  Leave to cool for 30 mins.

Cut 1 slice of bread into a round and fit it in the bottom of a 1.1/2 pint (850ml) pudding basin, and then line the sides with the remaining bread, trimming of the slices, with scissors to get a good snug fit, and then trim off the bread level with the basin rim.

Set aside 5 tablespoons of the fruit juice.  and spoon the fruit and the remaining juice into the basin without disturbing the bread up to 1/2 inch from the top..  Cover the fruit with the bread, trimming it to fit inside the lined sides.  Then spoon a little of the reserved juice over the top, covering the bread to colour it.   Cover the remaining juice and refrigerate.

Cover the bread with non-stick baking paper, and place on top a small plate that fits in side the rim of the basin.Weight the plate and stand in a wide dish to colect any juice that overflows and refrigerate overnight..

Uncover the pudding and run a knife round to losen it from the basin and then turn out the pudding onto a serving dish.  Spoon the reserved fruit over any patches of bread that are not already saurated with juice.   

Decorate with mint sprigs and serve.   Now you can go 2 ways,  either serve with Low Fat Creme Frais, or with cream, its your choice  !

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 14:50 »
jannie - I loved the sound of your recipe until I read the skinny option  :wub:

Seriously sounds yummy!
it is john and so easy i never use the skinny option  :D whats the point of puds if you cant indulge every now and then  ;) :happy:

Ropster

Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 09:07 »
This a recipe for currant cake which is a traditional Christmas Treat in My family

Ingredients

Pastry

8oz Plain Flour
2oz Lard
2oz Butter

Filling

12 ozCurrants
3oz soft brown sugar
3oz butter
1/2 level teaspoon cinamon
1/2 level teaspoon Mixed Spice
Dash of rum (optional)
sinch of salt

Method

the pastry is a rough puff method, ie chop the fat into the flower (do not rub) untill the fat is in bits about pea sized, no need to be too fussy, add a pinch of salt and then mix in cold water to form a dough. then put in the fridge to cool

Wash the currants in boiling water to plump them up and then drain then
melt the butter and sugar in a large pan, once melted add the rest of the ingredients and mix well

roll out half of the pastry and line a swiss roll tin
add the filling
cover with the remailing pastry and crimp together the edges
then roll the top of the cake to push the pastry into the currants a bit
brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar
cover the top of the cake with small cuts to let the air out

cook at 200c for 30 minutes or untill brown and crispy on top

teave to cool before eating,

this keeps well in an airtight box and in fact probably gets better after a few days

Hope you like it

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 23:28 »
This may not be the best looking pud in the world, but by 'eck, it tastes good! You can use any fruit you want to or combination of fruit, but this is my favourite (well, until the rhubarb's ready, then it'll be the damsons after that, then redcurrant and raspberries.....)

Apple and Blackberry Slump

1lb cooking apples
1oz butter
1/2 lb blackberries
3oz caster sugar
1/2lb/250g tub mascapone

For the Slump

3oz butter cut into pieces
8oz self raising flour
2oz caster sugar
finely grated zest 1 lemon
1/4pt milk

Peel , core and thinly slice apples. Melt butter in pan and add apple slices and toss around for couple of minutes until starting to soften. Tip into a greased 3 pint dish then add blackberries and sugar and mix lightly.

Rub butter into flour (or use food processor) until you have crumbs, then stir in sugar and lemon zest. Make a well in the middle of the crumbs and add the milk to make a soft mixture.

Spoon blobs of mascarpone over the fruit and then follow it with blobs of slump - if there are any gaps it doesn't matter at all - it will look fine! Bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 200c/fan 180/gas 6 until it's golden.

It's best to leave it for about 10 mins before eating for no other reason than to save your tongue from being burnt!!!

Despite the fact this has got 1/2 lb of mascarpone in it, a jug of custard really is a must, or cream or icecream..........

PS: This is meant to serve 6 but 4 of us demolish it easily!

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 18:43 »
Blueberry Muffins - you can tell if you're eating a true American style muffin because the air holes inside will be all different sizes and the texture is between a scone and a cake.  If this isn't the case you've been sold a cup cake which has not been made by hand!

My entry for the recipe competition is one that I have kept secret until now because I am a part time artisan baker and I make fruit muffins for sale at the farmers' markets in the Isle of Man - they are becoming rather famous on the Island not just because they are so gorgeous (if I do say so myself), but also because they're the biggest muffins you've ever seen.  In fact the only complaint I've ever had is that they are too big!

They are really easy to make.  The important thing to remember is DON'T use a mixer and DON'T overmix.  All you have to do is barely incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet - it doesn't matter if there are lumps and bits of flour showing, they will disappear when you bake them.  Makes 12-14 generous sized muffins.

750g plain flour
2 heaped tablespoons baking powder
300g caster sugar
250g (weight) of sunflower oil
4 large eggs, beaten
500ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
150g fruit - we use blueberries (our best seller), raspberries, blackberries or whatever's in season

Preheat the oven to 180oC.  Put paper muffin cases into a muffin tin.

Get together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately first by sieving the flour and baking powder into a fairly big bowl then adding the sugar and fruit.  Stir gently so everything's evenly mixed.  In a large jug or a different bowl put the wet stuff - the (weighed) oil, whisked eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.

Pour all the liquid into the centre of the dried ingredients.  Using a big spoon (not a whisk) barely mix.  If it still looks lumpy it's just right, if it looks smooth, don't mix it so well next time!  Using a spoon, put the mixture into the paper cases, filling them so them are mounded half an inch higher than the edge of the paper if you want to get the traditional mushroom shape to your muffins.  Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, according to how hot your oven is.  Take out of the oven, cool for just 10 minutes then remove from the pan to finish cooling.  Eat and enjoy! 

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 22:32 »
Was just wondering if anyone has made any of the recipies and tried the results yet?  If so what did you think of your efforts?
mrs.ploppy

MoreWhisky

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 22:41 »
Yeah i tried the Crannachan from page 1 . Top treat i hope it wins  ;)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

annie2006

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 11:25 »
fruit flapjack

i make this at least once a week caus everyone in the family loves it, and it is a very forgiving recipe for swapping and changing ingredients or quantities. i measure merely by eye and it always turns out right anyway!

dry ingredients - mix in a bowl
about 8oz of cereals ie porridge oats, crushed cornflakes, crushed weetabix - basically whatever you have or needs using up
2oz  sugar
2oz sr flour
chopped up fruit in little tiny squares such as apples, or soft fruits like raspberries/blueberries, or raisins - just add as much as you like or have.
you can also add some chopped nuts or coconut if u like.

wet ingredients - put in a pan and melt together
2 large tbsp of marg
2 large tbsp of golden syrup

mix the wet with the dry until all the dry is coated and wet looking. press firmly with the back of a spoon into a stick-proof swiss roll tin, and pop into oven for 20 mins about 180'c.

as soon as it comes out of oven, use a knife and cut into squares but then leave in tin until it has cooled. you can then add some melted choc on top as another option, or leave plain.

perfect for breakfast on the run or in school lunchboxes, and you can even pretend its healthy what with all the cereals and fruit  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 19:39 »
Those flapjacks sound scrummy.

OK

The Competition is now Closed!

The winner will be announced shortly
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2009, 20:15 »
I made the flapjacks with starberries and they were delicious and went in no time, made some more today and put ginger and raisins in them and they have nearly gone too!!!!
the next ones are going to be banana and cinnamon Yoummmmmmmmm

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2009, 00:02 »
Well this has been really tricky - so many absolutely brilliant recipes. After much discussion we decided the winner just had to be Poultrygeist with the Persian Baked Stuffed Melon.

Special Mentions

Mrs Bouquet for her Melba Summer Pudding
Jannie for her Italian Bread Pudding
Swing Swang for the Mulled Pears and the Quince Cheese

So we talked it over and raided the piggy bank for another copy of the book. After our scientifically randomised choosing system (drawing straws) we're pleased to announce a second prize for Swing Swang's Quince Cheese

Thanks again to everyone for posting so many fantastic mouth wateringly scrumptious recipes.

Swing Swang

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2009, 07:19 »
Wow! I won me a prize!

Thank you.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2009, 11:42 »
Congratulations to you Rob.   I am off to the shops soon, armed with the list of ingredients.  And congrats to everybody else, there were a lot of nice things there to eat.
Mrs Bouquet

poultrygeist

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 19:57 »
Thank you. Mrs PG takes all the credit. I just eat it and wash up (sometimes :blush:). :)

Thank you John and Val. :)

Rob 8)

thumbup
Recipe Competition #2 - Frugal Recipes

Started by John on Competitions

34 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 16:20
by Moosey
smiley
Recipe Competition #3 - May - Seasonal Recipes Grown in Britain

34 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 17:08
by Yabba
smiley
Recipe Competition #4 - June & July - Seasonal Recipes Grown in Britain

36 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 09:37
by Patricia
thumbup
Recipe Competition - Vegetarian Main Course Dishes

51 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 22:57
by sloegin

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.