giving up.....two fox attacks!!!

• 6 Replies

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
giving up.....two fox attacks!!!
« on: May 18, 2013, 21:31 »
twenty hens+ killed in three days in two attacks!!! Devastating, feel like giving up. Encloseure is broke so having to put rest in barn but thats not fair. Plus got ducks too. And cant afford electric fencing etc so may have to say goodbye to this new sometimes wonderful hobby!!!
a flock of hens, a cuddle of ducks and a twosome of geese.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: giving up.....two fox attacks!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 21:38 »
Fox attacks can be devastating and it sounds like you have had a dreadful time. Unfortunately once they know where you are they will keep coming back until they get them all or you find a way to stop them.

Sounds like you have the alternative of the barn short term. What is your current set up in terms of run, fencing and nighttime protection? Maybe you can do something to prevent further attacks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 21:47 »
Having suffered from 2 mink attacks very close together which resulted in me losing 2/3rds of my hens I really feel for you.
Your only way of preventing further attacks is to either invest in electric fencing or build an enclosure that is fox proof.
Staffies are softer than you think.

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 22:02 »
we have houses on one side, hedges on two sides and a fence on the other, thats round our land. They were roaming free but we have a enclosure that holds four coops where the chickens and geese live but it is currently broken and thrn thr ducks live nearer the house in a small room off the barn. Just worry if we fix enclosure and walk ducks down will the fox still be abke to get in and will it be fair on the ducks...ie no paddling pool down there or water.
It is devaststing and we are extending our family by adding children soon so not sure I can cope with the stress. As you say I think they are going to keep coming back. I am totally stuck as what to do.
thanks for your words. x x x and support. x x

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 22:17 »
Don't know what to say really , but our chooks are on the river bank and we saw mink there for the last 2 years and they haven't come past the river bank but we got 2 dogs.

next door  had a mink in the garden chasing a rat around and let their cat out and the cat ran off.

we haven't had any mink foxes yet ( not that I know ) maybe cos of the dogs.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:47 »
Sorry for your loss.   :(

It might be an idea to have less birds in a really secure area.  Then you can add to your flock when you get the security sorted out.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:20 »
bravemurphy having dogs is no deterrent to mink as I have 3, 2 of which are giant breeds. Luckily for me the local farmers will go out searching for them once they know they are back as they have to protect their livestock.  I think since my last attack the farmers may have been very successful  :)

xx
Dog Attacks.

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 19:13
by Angus
xx
Vicious attacks

Started by PJM on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 19:05
by Sarah Mitchell
xx
Its seem on of my hens attacks the rest

Started by Bootzie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 08:41
by Sassy
xx
Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on The Hen House

497 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 16:42
by nerdle

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 40 queries.