I gave in to temptation

• 7 Replies

themagicaltoad1

I gave in to temptation
« on: August 15, 2011, 20:08 »
Despite promising not to increase my flock until next year I was at an animal park today and couldn't resist 3 particular little chicks. They're supposed to be welsummers but I'm not so sure. What do you think? 2 are 1 week old and the 3rd is bigger and darker colouring.
new chicks, welsummers 15.07.11.JPG
new chick.JPG

NormandyMary

Re: I gave in to temptation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 20:39 »
Oh why do I get so broody when I see pictures of chicks? They are seriously cute and although I have no idea what they are (I cant even identify fully grown chooks) Im sure they will be beautiful.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 20:41 »
The bigger darker one deffo looks like a Welsummer chick to me - we've hatched a couple ourselves and they make beautiful birds  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 20:52 »
I agree the darker / older one probably is a welsummer but it's the younger ones I'm not so sure about. I've been looking up photos of welsummer chicks and they don't seem to have the stripes that appear to be on other chicks I've seen.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 21:20 »
It's hard to tell with them being so young.  I do remember the first lot of Welsummers we hatched (only two so not that great an amount to compare) had the dark v on their head - they both were girls.

The current ones with our broody (again two!) - one does have the darker markings on its head, the other seems lighter and the feathering coming through looks a bit lighter too...

I know girls have quite distinct "eyeliner" when young which helps tell them apart.

Sorry I'm not much help but I'd hate to mislead you!  I'm just going from my somewhat limited experience.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45 »
I've been doing some googling this morning and reckon I've got one welsummer and two RIR's I don't mind, already have a right old mix of birds, but I'm not impressed that they were sold as welsummers.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 17:32 »
It is a bit naughty on the seller's part (or ignorance) but RIRs are beautiful birds  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 17:42 »
I've been doing some googling this morning and reckon I've got one welsummer and two RIR's I don't mind, already have a right old mix of birds, but I'm not impressed that they were sold as welsummers.

I agree - 1 Welsumer and 2 RIRs. I can't see from the photo of the Welsumer if it has "eyeliner" or not - if so it's definately a girl.

xx
My new Copper Black gave me an egg..............

Started by cammi on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 09:25
by cammi

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.