using a magnet to sex a egg

• 8 Replies

robsonutop

using a magnet to sex a egg
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:41 »
Has anyone tried this and with any success? Having hatched my orpingtons and found it difficult to sex the buffs I saw an add for a magnet you dangle over the developing egg.
Any thoughts- as I would have to lose potentially good hens

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: using a magnet to sex a egg
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08 »
If it worked the commercial breeders would use it and not have to cull the males.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:07 »
i seem to remember reading an article recently and have also seen the magnets for sale. Some people swear by them and claim to have accurate results and others claim to only have 50% accurate results.

I remain ever sceptical but would love to hear if any one has used this method with good, consistant results.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49 »
OK, in the name of science my 11 year old has just conducted the experiment. I didnt tell him why (in fear of him rolling around on the floor in laughter at me)

Small rectangle magnet suspended on cotton. This was then suspended over a distance so that he wasnt holding the cotton so not to interefere with results.

Tested on fertile quail eggs, eggs in incubator and day old quail chicks in brooder.

i can conclude that when tested on any of the eggs the magnet did not move at all in any direction, didnt even flicker.

But boy, when we put day old chicks underneath it was swinging and shaking like a good un ........... calm down, only because they were pecking it, other wise again it did not move.

Make of it what you will. Perhaps you need a certain amount of positive thoughts for it to work.   ::)

I remain sceptical and will carry on using my own method of sexing. If it lays an egg it's female if it crows it male.

I then told my 11 year old why we were doing it and he went around the house testing things and concluded the lounge carpet was female and the TV was male  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:37 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:  He'll make a good scientist :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 17:18 »
 :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

robsonutop

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 22:16 »
Splash -that made me laugh- I love the controlled experiment. I haven't used this method as I hate the thought of disposing of eggs which might be female. I remember as a child my father collecting cardboard boxes from our local railway station of "sexed" 3 day old  rhode island red cross sussex chicks but  there were always a handful became  cockerels -so I suppose no no method is 100%

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 23:33 »
Sounds a bit like dousing doesn't it?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56 »
I bought young ducklings from a breeder who used a magnet to sex them and he claimed to have about a 90% success rate! Was more than a little sceptical but he told be that if any were boys he was happy to take them back and refund me.

They were both boys but by the time that was apparent I was far too attached to them (and it would have probably cost me more in petrol that the refund to return them) so I kept them and that is how I got Patrick, my favourite duck!

It's hokum but very glad I ended up with the boy I did :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.