Slow cooker

• 44 Replies

Springlands

Slow cooker
« on: March 01, 2012, 21:53 »
I have been considering buying a slow cooker and have a query for any peeps who already have one. When you are cooking stews do the veggies get all soggy or do they stay reasonably firm.

Now that I see that written down it seems a funny question but I really do not like soggy veggies.  :nowink: :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 22:13 »
sorry - but surely the veg are supposed to be soggy in  a stew because they are cooked for so long  :unsure:
A slowcooker does 'just what it says on the tin' it cooks a stew slowly for hours to tenderise meat and veg, in the same way you cook a casserole in the oven for hours.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 22:18 »
Hi MOS - normally when I cook a stew/casserole I put in the meat, onions and seasoning first and then add the other veggies (carrots etc) later on so that they do not get soggy - is that possible with a slow cooker.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 22:26 »
I don't like soggy veggies either Springlands but I do love stew made in the slow cooker.  :tongue2:
I think that with any method you have to consider the cooking time and I always cut my veg fairly chunky, as I do the meat (1" chunks).
I suppose if you cut the meat smaller and the veg. larger, it would stay relatively firm. The taste is wonderful.
I roast chicken in mine with a few tablespoons of water and it falls off the bone and tastes fantastic.  
Well worth the small investment considering you just throw it all in and leave it to do its thing!
Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 22:31 »
Thanks for the suggestions Mags. At this time of year it would be really good not to have to stop work in the garden to start to cook dinner - as you said just throw it all in and go and do better things.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 22:32 »
Hi MOS - normally when I cook a stew/casserole I put in the meat, onions and seasoning first and then add the other veggies (carrots etc) later on so that they do not get soggy - is that possible with a slow cooker.

Yes, you can add things as you go along, but to me the whole point is that I can bung things in in the morning and forget about them, even go out for the day - and come back to the finished stew  ;)

plum crumble

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 22:34 »
well - you would be surprised how firm veggies stay after hours in a slow cooker  - they never mush. I have done stews where the meat has fallen apart - but the carrots and spuds etc keep their shape, but have beautifully absorbed the juices - you have no worries there
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 22:36 »
Thanks everybody - Plum you have just made me hungry at the thought of a lovely stew. Yummmmm.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 22:42 »
Many veggies take longer to cook than the meat does, sort of.  Carrots in particular are best chopped up small and put at the bottom.

Some other veggies don't take as long, but remember if you take the lid off to add 30 minutes' cooking time because it takes that long for it to come back up to temperature.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Spana

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36 »
Is there any difference in flavour-or anything else- in a dish cooked in a slow cooker to one slow cooked in a casserole in the oven.  :) other than the power used that is

I do have a slow cooker but never use it, I always do casseroles which i like more than roasts.

I know lots of you use them and love them so tell me a reason to get it down from the top shelf and try it, please :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:38 by Spana »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39 »
Just get it down & try it for yourself!

Despite recent IT advances, you can't convey taste, aroma & texture via a PC yet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:42 »

Despite recent IT advances, you can't convey taste, aroma & texture via a PC yet.

:lol: :lol:  Might happen someday - not.  :lol: :lol:

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:09 »
They are so cheap now, I can see no arguments for not having one.

Ours cost about £12 from Clas Ohlson, but I have seen them in supermarkets for about the same.

Amazing stews, and coming in from work to the smell of it cooking away is fantastic!

Spana

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21 »

Well, i'm a bit old fashioned and will stick with my old cast iron casseroles unless someone can say why a slow cooker gives a better result :) You do get all the taste , aroma & texture you would ever want doing it in the oven DD :)

The other thing is i will usually put 3 casseroles in together, so i would need some convincing :)

But I would be interested to know why others use them over a casserole in the oven :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31 »

The other thing is i will usually put 3 casseroles in together, so i would need some convincing :)

But I would be interested to know why others use them over a casserole in the oven :)
I have a mahoosive one Spana and fill it right to the top so there is plenty for several meals.  I can't lift heavy pans into the oven so I just fill it up and press the button. I even roast large beef joints in it. Then my son cleans it for me!  :D Hungry now... :lol:

xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy
xx
Slow Cooker

Started by Heifer73 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

53 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 11:56
by noshed
xx
Slow-cooker

Started by blackhobbescat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 21:48
by Sally A
xx
Slow cooker - which one

Started by BigPaddy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 17:55
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 39 queries.