Christmas pudding

• 6 Replies

Elaine G

Christmas pudding
« on: November 28, 2010, 19:15 »
Looks like I will have to make a Christmas pudding this year - my first ever after 35 years of marriage :lol:
Can anyone point me towards a recipe that does not have nuts in. All the recipes I have seen seem to have them.
Or can I substitute something else for the nuts! ie more fruit?
Also a lot of recipes seem to contain beer, is this a good idea.
Sorry for sounding dim. Can't ask mum at the moment, (she has always made them before) as she is too stressed out with her own problems.

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Spana

Re: Christmas pudding
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 19:22 »
Yes just leave them out.  There isn't usually a lot of nuts  to make much difference but add something else instead if you want to.
The recipe I use says beer but the last few years I've used cider. I think Christmas pud is one of those things that will take a bit of messing about without altering the end result to much. :)

Elaine G

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 20:25 »
Sorry for the delay but thanks for the reply Spana. Still haven't had time to make one!

Elaine

Siobhan

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 23:08 »
Delia Smith has probably the best Christmas pudding recipe out there, never fails, just leave the nuts out, she puts stout in! think you need it to preserve the fruits and richen up the flavour.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 23:23 »
I prefer half a bottle of brandy in mine!  It flambe's well!! lol

I also do a microwave sometimes when turkey plucking takes its toll!  It's maybe not as dark as it could be, but tastes quite nice.

I always used to cook my puds in my pressure cooker too as it saves lots of time and electric!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 13:53 by GrannieAnnie »

Spana

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:37 »
Delia Smith has probably the best Christmas pudding recipe out there, never fails, just leave the nuts out, she puts stout in! think you need it to preserve the fruits and richen up the flavour.

Thats the one i've made since my daughter bought me the book in 1981.  She uses  stout and barley wine which is hard to get these days.  Past few years I've just used a can of cider and we like it better.  It makes a lovely pudding, still dark and moist but not so strong.
This year ive made one big pudding, any left over i cut into portions and freeze then microwave to heat up when we fancy it later in the year. :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 18:03 »
Found a Christmas pudding at the back of the cupboard.  Will be nicely mature, sell by date is 2007 ! ! !  Dug out an old silver sixpence to press into it.  I'll try and manouvre that bit to the M.i.L.  Tee Hee.   :tongue2:  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Christmas pudding

Started by juliec on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 17:14
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Traditional Christmas pudding

Started by jacnal on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 12:31
by chrissie B
xx
Other than Christmas cake and pudding

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 20:17
by NormandyMary
xx
Bread Pudding

Started by fayenz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 07:02
by fayenz

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.