`Uchiki Kuri

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

`Uchiki Kuri
« on: September 17, 2020, 18:48 »
 a kind person gave me some Uchiki Kuri to grow this season and they have turned out very good so i would like to ask the question

when's the best time to pick them before the frost's and what is the best way to cook them we cook and use our pumpkins in both soups and stews and the butternut squashes we bake as a veg and sometimes put those in stew dishes

but as this is the first year we have grew Uchiki Kuri we just wanted to ask which is the best way to cook Uchiki Kuri may be same as pumpkins and other squashes?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: `Uchiki Kuri
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 20:17 »
Sounds like you have a nice crop  :)

They will need picking before the frosts and you can cook them in the sames ways as other squashes and pumpkins.

They are a Japanese style squash, so have a softer, creamier texture than butternut and a sweet, nutty flavour when ripe.  I like them roasted or baked and they make fantastic soup.  They will fall apart more readily than butternut in a stew, so add them towards the end and make sure they are simmered, not boiled hard.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: `Uchiki Kuri
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 20:38 »
I like them roasted in wedges with a little salt and chilli sprinkled on, or halved with the seeds scooped out, filled with savoury rice, topped with cheese and roasted. Just love'em :)

xx
Uchiki Kuri

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 04:02
by Trillium

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.