Wholemeal bread recipe

• 24 Replies

snowdrops

Wholemeal bread recipe
« on: February 29, 2020, 16:51 »
Did we used to have a thread about baking bread? I’ve a feeling there were a few wholemeal bread recipes on it. I’m struggling to find a good recipe for a loaf that isn’t too crumbly & dry. I’ve done white sourdough before but let my starter died. I’m happy to start a new wholemeal one, it’s just for me so it ends up getting too big, plus I don’t eat bread everyday. Any tried & tested recipes sourdough or not please
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Wholemeal bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 20:23 »
Did we used to have a thread about baking bread?

Yes here and there are a lot of pages to go at  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118154.0

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 22:37 »
For posterity, my wholemeal bread recipe is

200g of wholemeal flour
200g of white flour (can go down to 100g if you like it heavy, but I prefer half and half)
240g water
1 Tbls dried yeast
A slosh (about 2tbls but it’s not a crucial measurement) of olive oil or lump of butter
1 tsp Salt.

Mix it up, knead it until it’s soft, leave it somewhere until it goes soft and puffy. Knock it about a bit and shape it (I like those mini loaf tins, but my daughter makes a lot of crazy shapes, too) and leave it over night in the fridge, covered with a dry tea towel (it will stick to a damp one) It will still rise beautifully, but be much more digestible and nicer bread. You can leave it at room temperature for an hour or so if you prefer, and it will be lovely bread, but an overnight fridge rise is much nicer. Bake at a medium temperature until is bread coloured. Then freeze it. Then you can take out a couple of rolls and zap them in the microwave whenever you want fresh bread, and don’t need to eat a whole loaf when it’s past it’s yummy fresh-baked stage.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 13:06 »
Did we used to have a thread about baking bread?

Yes here and there are a lot of pages to go at  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118154.0
g

Thanks NS, on reading all 36 pages :wacko: I found out I used to bake a good wholemeal loaf  :lol: :lol: who knew, wish I still knew the recipe I used  :wacko:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 13:07 »
For posterity, my wholemeal bread recipe is

200g of wholemeal flour
200g of white flour (can go down to 100g if you like it heavy, but I prefer half and half)
240g water
1 Tbls dried yeast
A slosh (about 2tbls but it’s not a crucial measurement) of olive oil or lump of butter
1 tsp Salt.

Mix it up, knead it until it’s soft, leave it somewhere until it goes soft and puffy. Knock it about a bit and shape it (I like those mini loaf tins, but my daughter makes a lot of crazy shapes, too) and leave it over night in the fridge, covered with a dry tea towel (it will stick to a damp one) It will still rise beautifully, but be much more digestible and nicer bread. You can leave it at room temperature for an hour or so if you prefer, and it will be lovely bread, but an overnight fridge rise is much nicer. Bake at a medium temperature until is bread coloured. Then freeze it. Then you can take out a couple of rolls and zap them in the microwave whenever you want fresh bread, and don’t need to eat a whole loaf when it’s past it’s yummy fresh-baked stage.

Thank you, I’ll give it a try

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 16:22 »
Thanks NS, on reading all 36 pages :wacko: I found out I used to bake a good wholemeal loaf  :lol: :lol: who knew, wish I still knew the recipe I used  :wacko:

Why do you think i posted it!? 😉

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 20:37 »

Why do you think i posted it!? 😉

Hi Wellington but I think we’re at cross purposes, on reading through that old thread that New Shoot copied the link too, I found I had commented a few times about the wholemeal breads I had made, hence my previous reply, but I appreciate your reply & recipe & aim to give it a whirl sometime soon, cheers

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 22:13 »
I’m so sorry, my post reads as a rather rude retort, which is not what I intended AT ALL!  I meant that I had posted it so that *I* can remember it another time, not being pointy at you!  There should have been a laughing smiley (at my ludicrously fallible memory!) not a string of characters that look like a muted insult. I would never be so short with anyone about bread!

jezza

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 15:46 »
Hello I have been shopping couldn't get a bag of wholemeal flour apparently the supermarket haven't had any flour since Wednesday   jezza

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 16:34 »
I used this recipe to make a batch of bread rolls, and they turned out beautifully.  I froze most of them, and they're lovely taken straight from the freezer and given a quick zap or two in the microwave.  Really nice, light texture.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 18:24 »
I’ve still not had the time to settle down & have a go, Jaydig, did you intend to post a photo? If so I can’t see one but would like too please & a recipe if possible  :nowink:

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 09:12 »
Snowy, I used the recipe you quoted from Wellington in your March 1st post.

I can't post photos as my phone only makes phone calls, and I wouldn't know what to do even if I had a phone that does.  My sons think it's hysterical, but I never did find out how to work the dvd recorder for the TV, so there's not much hope really.

I just liked the texture of this recipe because most of the wholemeal bread I've tried baking before was a bit on the heavy side.  I used just over half of white flour and made up the total quantity with wholemeal, and it worked really well.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 13:02 »
Ahh thank you I should have twigged, been a bit slow on the uptake these last few days lol

DanielCoffey

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 08:46 »
There are still a few places selling wholemeal flour that is milled in the UK that deliver. You don't have to rely on the supermarket for all of it.

I use 250g wholemeal, 250g strong white, 1tsp salt (I prefer less salt than Wellington), either 1 packet of dried instant yeast or a lump of fresh, a dash of olive oil or butter and 330ml warm water.

I find 100% wholemeal tends to be on the dense side so almost always mix it 50:50.

As for cooking the final loaf, while I do have a steam setting on the oven which gives a nice shiny crust I bake at 200C for 50 mins (thinner crust but light) or 210C for 60 mins (strong crust and darker).

It may help if you are baking a round loaf without a tin to get a pizza stone and putting it in the oven when heating up. It gives a nice "bottom lift" as they call it.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 10:32 »
Thank you Daniel, I shall try both, I have a pizza stone but it said to put in cold! I shall try both ways & report back when I’ve experimented, I did succumb to a bought loaf from the local market on what to me was a new stall as I don’t go very often.

xx
Bread Recipe

Started by teflon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 03:59
by nemie
xx
Focaccia Bread Recipe

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 20:50
by kezlou
xx
Wheatfree Bread Recipe

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 23:10
by Poolfield2
xx
Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe

Started by Babycat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 54 queries.