Debate/query; LAYERS PELLETS AND PROTEIN

• 26 Replies

chooksbury

Re: Debate/query; LAYERS PELLETS AND PROTEIN
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 18:07 »
 ;)  Quick update.  If Matilda is laying, and not particularly worried about her bum .. then I'm not gona worry either.  Treating except for their afternoon corn has stopped.  They seem MORE satisfied on just the pellets !  Hmmmmm so the answer was obvious . . CHICKEN ADHD   :D 
Seriously though, it seems they were just spoilt brats then .. as they've really quietened down.  The new girls are settling in well too.  They all go to bed together quite happily, and I just separate the newbies out in the morning.  By half 5 Lucy and Tilly trot into the run, and I let the wee ones in with them for a bit of a social.  Just half an hour at the moment, gradually increasing.  By next week I'm hoping they'll be ok together but I wont let the newbies free range until they're hand tame.  It's coming ! They're VERY shy but I'm being patient.  :)

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 10:08 »
I found all your comments on feather pecking really interesting, especially the causes. I have had my four hens for three months now and have not (so far) had any pecking at all. They are four different breeds and I give them mash to start the day, pellets all day and a scratch of corn in the afternoon with either a banana between them or a few grapes cut up.
They spend loads of time just scratching for insects or leaping up to their hanging cabbage and playing!
They all have completely different temperaments, just like people, but they are quite affectionate to each other at times!
In fact I love them so much I might just break my own promise and get another two..........!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49 »
I have one persistent feather pecker ... not bored, not malnourished, possibly overfed  ::) but the others don't do it  :( She's sixth in a pecking order of eight ... the top five lose a feather occasionally, but keep her in check ... while the lowest two are threadbare. We've separated those two off for a while as the lowest lost a large patch of skin  >:(

I've ordered some beak rings, but I think I'm going to try and rehome her ... it's become a habit ... and I think putting her into another brood might break it (perhaps esp if there's a cockerel - would that make a difference?)

Ho hum - it's never dull keeping hens.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 09:59 »
Being with a cockerel might help as whenever mine have a squabble at least one of the boys runs over to sort them out.
Have you tried removing her for a few days so that she loses her place in the pecking order, rather than removing the bullied ones (it can take over a week)?
Then when she is reintroduced fit the beak clip - although if it is a habit then she may need to wear one forever as they soon remember their old habit of feather eating.
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 10:40 »
I took the little ones out because one of them was bleeding and I needed to keep an eye on her, but didn't want her on her own.

Yes, I've tried separating the bully but it didn't break the habit ... and I have beak rings on order. But there's a hen keeper up the road who has a cockerel or two, so she's going there for a holiday, if not for good!

So I've separated the bully for today (she's moving in after dark) and put the two little ones back in with the brood ... and I think I might also get a poultry saddle for the little one who is still the bottom of the pecking order - it will at least cover over her bald patch!

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 16:12 »
Being with a cockerel might help as whenever mine have a squabble at least one of the boys runs over to sort them out.
Have you tried removing her for a few days so that she loses her place in the pecking order, rather than removing the bullied ones (it can take over a week)?
Then when she is reintroduced fit the beak clip - although if it is a habit then she may need to wear one forever as they soon remember their old habit of feather eating.

I have heard people say they cocks police their hens but my hens (and I have 4 flocks) have always run with a cock and I've never seen it ever happen.  I can't say it doen't happen but I think it's a bit of imagination.

Hens do often castigate other hens who act boisterously as they take it as challenging the pecking order but I don't think cocks get involved in such situations.
HF
Truth through science.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 16:18 »
While I had a cockerel running with my girls there were far less squabbles. I'm lucky as their little spats are never serious, but I do think from my own experience that the cock bird being the dominant bird helps to set the hierarchy and the hens are calmer.

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 16:25 »
HF perhaps your cockerels are wusses - two of mine certainly break up the squabbles  :D

hillfooter

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 16:37 »
HF perhaps your cockerels are wusses - two of mine certainly break up the squabbles  :D

Perhaps I should remove their handbags!! 
I will say that since all my hens always run with cockerells I don't know how quarrelsome they would be without being with a cock!  But perhaps judging from some of the chicks on the chat line I can see how it might be! ??? ::) ;)
HF

joyfull

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 16:41 »
HF I think you're treading on thin ice  ;)  :lol:
You are either very brave or can run fast  ???  :lol: 

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 16:49 »
HF I think you're treading on thin ice  ;)  :lol:
You are either very brave or can run fast  ???  :lol: 

QED!
HF

joyfull

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 16:56 »
 :nowink:  :lol:

xx
Quick layers or growers query

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 00:59
by Squibbs
xx
Age for layers pellets

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 08:34
by Sassy
xx
layers pellets

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 09:22
by muntjac
question
Layers pellets

Started by Holyfishcakes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:39
by Holyfishcakes

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 40 queries.