can you have your chucks killed at home?

• 9 Replies

cattington

can you have your chucks killed at home?
« on: December 19, 2011, 18:58 »
Hello, I was just thinking of getting some dual purpose chickens, a fox had all but one of my last lot, and I was wondering when the time comes for the chickens to give meat can you have it done at home? I dont think I can do it, but would be happy for someone to come and do it for me. Any advice on best times and age of birds? I was thinking of orpingtons and rhode island reds? Thanks Cat  :lol:

Casey76

Re: can you have your chucks killed at home?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15 »
I'm not sure you can.  I think you need a slaughtermans license (or something... not sure) to cull chickens not your own.

As for dual purpose, orpingtons and RIR are not really a good choice :( orpingtons are actually quite skinny under all of the feather, and RIR are pretty much a laying breed these days.  Something like a Marans, a heavy Light Sussex (not the hybrids which are passed off as LS), Faverolles, etc would produce a more meat.  the thing to remember with dual purpose breeds though, is that pullets will remain quite light, and it is tranditionally the cockerels which are slaughtered, and not usually until maturity (about 22-26 weeks) by which time they have been crowing for weeks.

I'd definitely recommend you go on a cull/pluck/dress course.  then at least you can learn the techniques to cull your own.  This is something I think is essential for all chicken owners in case they have to put a bird out of it's misery, espeicaly if it is a long trip to the vet.

cattington

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:07 »
Yes i thought that it couldn't be done, unless the person doing it had some sort of a licence to do it. I have been thinking about the course, thanks for the advice about the breeds, is there a way to tell is the light sussex is a hybrid bird coming from an idiots guide point of view? I am not even sure what a light sussex looks like till I look in my book x

kegs

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:46 »
No, a Light Sussex isn't a hybrid.  Here's a pic of a young LS cockerel.  :blink:
P1020913.JPG

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:57 »
however there are two strains of light sussex - the modern strain are mainly for egg laying but if you can shop around you may be able to find the heavier strain which lay less eggs but carry more meat. Or you could get the modern strain and just cull the cockerels for the meat  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 15:56 »
nope you dont need a licence to cull any farm animal if its done humainly and it is for your own family use, if you want to sell them as meat for human consuption then you will need it done by a registered slaughter house, this is for food hygine perposes, :blink:
Chicken crazy

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:33 »
No, a Light Sussex isn't a hybrid.  Here's a pic of a young LS cockerel.  :blink:

It is confusing but there is a tyep of Light Sussex that is a hybrid :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:37 »
nope you dont need a licence to cull any farm animal if its done humainly and it is for your own family use, if you want to sell them as meat for human consuption then you will need it done by a registered slaughter house, this is for food hygine perposes, :blink:

But the OP was asking if it was OK for someone else to do it for her. In which case it would not be for the consumption of the person doing the culling.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51 »
Brian is licensed to kill at our home and also 'on farm', so people with his type of licence can kill at someone else's home, although Brian's is only for poultry, he can't do say pigs, but that person can't then sell on, it would only be for their own consumption.

And yes there is a hybrid that has the light sussex colouring, although many hybrids have LS in them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:52 by GrannieAnnie »

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 19:21 »
leagaly the person doing the kull has to be the one whos family eats it, but at the end of the day if its done humainly and the person doing the deed isnt going to sell the carcas then i dont think youd in trouble, its only if it is to be sold to the general public, but if its for animal feed then no regulations apply, very confusing but it is intendid to prevent incorect storige  :blink:

xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp
xx
MY chucks

Started by dugless on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 21:23
by too many girls
xx
new chucks

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 20:00
by Tony H

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.