Spring? Or am I kidding myself

• 17 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Spring? Or am I kidding myself
« on: February 08, 2022, 15:53 »
There are snowdrops out in the garden, the crocus and hellebores are budding up and even the daffs are looking like they will do something soon.

It is only the beginning of February, so I know it could all change yet. It does perk you up though doesn’t it  :)

lettice

Re: Spring? Or am I kidding myself
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 16:15 »
Plenty of my crocus, always the first to flower have been out and flowering for a week now.
All other bulbs like daffs have good string green stems, but not flowering yet.

In fact I had Google photos show me twice this week a set of photos I took on same date last year and five years ago of the crocus in flower at same time :)

My rhubarb is growing nicely now too.

Something else I notice on the verge of Spring is starting to see blue tits appearing daily on the bird feeders and popping in and out of the nest boxes in our neighbourhood, as if to be testing and choosing their new home for the following months, moving in to them early Spring/March

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 16:54 »
Yes it is spring, because the Timperley Early Rhubarb has opened a few leaves, even though it was transplanted in October - it's keen  :D
My garden is a bit of a frost trap and there are only a couple of crocus showing. The tubs beside the door are a bit warmer, I suppose, because I have tulip shoots showing between the wallflowers  :)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 17:01 »
It's a great time of year if the sun is shining, and at a low angle as it picks out the new greenery on daff bulbs, day-lilies etc, which is just enough to bring some cheer - especially if the birds are having a quick tweet too!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 18:03 »
You would normally be kidding yourself at this time in February (my photos have also shown some snow from last year or the year before), but I saw a weather projection for the rest of the month, which suggested that we would not have a nasty cold snap.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 19:40 »
It was measuring 16.2 c in the poly tunnel at 10.30 this morning, I spotted the beginnings of green leaves on my newly planted peach tree in there too :lol:
In the garden I’ve  got plenty of snowdrops now & some nice hellebores, but no sign of my new aconites  ??? Even saw leaves of my podophyllum- spotty dotty, hopefully I’ve finally found a spot it will survive as this was my last attempt with it  :wacko:
Yesterday on my travels there where lots of catkins & snowdrops & over the weekend there were 2 daffodils out on the way to the allotments on a bit of municipal green space.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/275840/podophyllum-versipelle-spotty-dotty-pbr-(v)/details
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 19:47 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 22:08 »
Agree with Growster , it’s  grand when the sun is out and at this time of the year it does highlight the new growth.
I’ve got lots of crocus out under our cherry tree , hellebores showing flower and snow drops and tete a tetes
Just coming in to colour . Also lots of fresh green on my native primroses in my little fernery.
Soo say , yes it’s Spring !!.  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 08:06 »
The birds think so don’t they.  My garden lot are setting up a hullabaloo right now  :D

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 12:45 »
The nights are slowly drawing out and now i can manage a trip to the plots on the way home from work in the light. Clocks go forward next month and it's almost time to dig out the propagator. Managed to cut the lawns too!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Debz

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 12:54 »
We're battling high winds and intermittent snow / sleet showers in Glasgow.  So tired of the wind at the moment although in between the sun shines and it looks gorgeous.  A step outside will remind you it's blooming freezing though.

MrsPea

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 14:36 »
Beautiful day here  :D
I Love my green house

lettice

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 15:45 »
Been a lovely day here too. 14c mid afternoon in the bright sunshine
Lovely day to be gardening outside from 9am till now.
Mostly spreading compost over the bean areas.
Plus a scrub of one panel of my gleaming clean greenhouse that I 'polished' the other week, as a bird had left a large deposit on it.

Loads more Crocus are out now, making a nice compliment to the ones I mentioned above.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 16:18 »
It can't make up its mind here. We've had heavy rain and hooligan winds that dried the ground up immediately, two major storms (Arwen and Malik) which have caused devastation in places (tree surgeons and fence operatives running round trying to catch up with things). Between times there are signs of snowdrops, crocus and even daffodil leaves but they are hesitant.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 03:11 »
Daffodils and hyacinths are all up. Mrs. Subversive cut the first of the daffodils this week.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 07:23 »
Picked some daffodils yesterday
  We've had some glorious sun but there is still an underlying bite to the wind.  Not spring yet but it's on the way

xx
spring is in the air

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2020, 09:26
by jambop
clip
Spring is in the air

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2020, 19:58
by WeavingGryphon
clip
A bit of spring cheer.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2022, 17:20
by rowlandwells
xx
Speeding up Spring's arrival

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2019, 16:50
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 55 queries.