Have I made the right choice?

• 6 Replies

Blodwin

Have I made the right choice?
« on: March 31, 2012, 23:33 »
Hi just signed up to this extremely helpful site. So thought i would say hello.  Having decided to get some chickens I have recently purchased a hen house and my husband has built an extended run. I have mulled over bantams or hybrids for sometime, egg production being my main purpose for doing this but our garden is not huge and the chance to let the hens roam free would be limited. I do not want the garden to be striped of plants and lawn yet did want eggs everyday. Hybrids its was, so today I went to a reputable breeder to get some, however I took one look at the bantams and fell in love with them, I chose 6 different ones only to find they were not for sale.  With me were my two teenage daughters who pointed out that we could purchase the same breeds just as bantam chicks these were a week old and unsexed. After much gentle persuasion I am now the owners of 6 little bantam chicks but on reflection and hindsight am wondering if I have made a mistake. Don't get me wrong the chicks are gorgeous just not sure if I I'll get any eggs I'm not looking to sell eggs just enough for family use (there's 5 of us), I'm also aware that I could have 6 cockerels any advice or reassurance would be most grateful.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Re: Have I made the right choice?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:41 »
hi, welcome,

id just enjoy the experiance, mine didnt lay straight off, but wasnt chicks, just a few weeks out.. but deffo worth the experiance

There is always someway to sort out cockerals..

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:54 »
Hi Blodwin and welcome to the site.

Have you got the right setup for your chicks, heatlamp, chick crumb and secure draft free place for them to grow in safety?  You will have to wait and see how many are hens/cockerels.  The problem is you will get attached to them so find it hard to part with them.

I have 2 broody bantams each sitting on 6 hopefully fertile bantam eggs.  I am prepared if they turn out to be cockerels and can not rehome them.  My girls are grown up and left home now so that makes it easier.  You need to be prepared to cull in case of an injured/suffering bird or have a backup plan of someone who would do it for you.

I hope this does not put you off but it is always better to be prepared mentally.  If you have a local vet check that they are poultry friendly and knowledgable just in case you need urgent help.   :)

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 21:59 »
You're going to have your hands full. Where are you keeping them at present?

Blodwin

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:50 »
Thanks all for your comments, the chicks are currently in a large box with a heat lamp and eating chick crumb, they are doing very well and are a delight to watch. Regarding the roosters I have a few options a friend of mine has a farm and a couple of other friends have small holdings so hopefully they will be sorted  should we have a poorly one I am also prepared to cull if need be. After reading much more about bantams I'm quite happy with the decision I've made and looking forward to watching them grow, thanks again for your comments.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 22:10 »
I had my chicks in a large, deep box with a lamp in my dining room. Came home one day to find them all over the room and poop everywhere, it doesn't take them long to start escaping. :D

Blodwin

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 22:18 »
Oh how funny, I did think of that and I have some wire mesh over the top of the box the smallest chick is already trying to fly so hopefully they will stay contained!

xx
Home made incubator. Have you made one?

Started by orchardlady on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 10:41
by hillfooter
xx
Pleased with my flooring choice, thought I would share

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 19:37
by gracie
xx
This made me smile

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 15:25
by Beano
xx
Home made chicken treat (THEY LOVE IT)

Started by roxynisa on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 11:36
by Chablis Dog

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.