Chicken unwell very swollen between legs and waddling

• 2 Replies

Speckly Sarah

I have a 4 year old hybrid brown chicken who 2 days ago started waddling like a duck. To cut a long story short, over the last 2 days her back end has dropped lower and lower until she is now more or less dragging her undercarriage along the ground! She is very very swollen between her legs and is very wet and mucky down her backend all the time. I've looked where she has been sleeping at night and noticed she she is only passing white liquid poo despite the fact that she can be tempted to eat with tasty bits and pieces and is still drinking ok.

I've never had an eggbound chicken and thought it might be this, however after a warm bath 2 days running, nothing has transpired and she seems to be dragging herself more and more. Strangely she doesn't seem too miserable although she's much happier to be handled than she normally is. Vets are all shut for bank holiday now and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice??? Please...

themagicaltoad1

Re: Chicken unwell very swollen between legs and waddling
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 16:52 »
She could have peritonitis. It's caused by a broken egg inside her allowing bacteria to breed and causing infection. She will need anti biotics if this is the problem. It can be a re-occuring problem if the chicken is prone to having broken eggs inside and often the only thing to do is cull the chicken. They will hide the fact they are not well for as long as possible to prevent other hens attacking them. Sorry I can't suggest anything until the vets is open.

Speckly Sarah

Re: Chicken unwell very swollen between legs and waddling
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 18:03 »
Thanks for your reply. Looking up chicken peritonitis on google and extensively on here, it definitely looks like this is what she has.

Does anyone have any further information about this:

Will antibiotics cure the peritonitis?

Will she still lay or is it more humane to have her put to sleep at this stage?

Poor Martha! :-(

xx
Unwell Chicken

Started by rabuto on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 08:30
by compostqueen
xx
Is my chicken unwell?

Started by skerts on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 22:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Unwell chicken ??why

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 22:25
by GrannieAnnie
xx
unwell chicken

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 09:04
by joyfull

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.