Epsom Salts

• 7 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Epsom Salts
« on: September 22, 2009, 19:55 »
On the advice of a neighbour, I bought a 1KG box of Epsom Salts  to spray on my skimmia japonica whose lower leaves are yellowing.  I'm not sure what I am going to use the rest for.  I know you can spray tomatoes, but what do other members use it for?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Epsom Salts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 20:25 »
I'm not an expert with Japonica, but could it not just be the time of year, rather than a magnesium deficiency?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

starry

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 21:00 »
when my skimmia looks a bit yellow I give it an Iron feed (sequested) for rhododendrons etc?? don't know if Epsom salts does the same thing but I usually feed my runners with that !!! ::)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 21:05 »
The point I'm making is that you take remedial action in the peak growing season. It's now mid-September.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 23:00 »
as DD sez its abit late in the season now to notice any difference. Wont hurt tho and will help for the Spring!

Prevention is better than cure - I always mix a spoonful in with the Toms and Cues at time of planting...
Death OR Cake ???

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 23:06 »
I take your point, but my neighbour is quite an experienced gardener, a judge at the local flower show, RHS member etc and we were chatting generally about magnesium deficiency - she asked me if I had a skimmia in my garden and whether the lower leaves were going yellow.  I hadn't even noticed but when I checked it was exactly that.  She suggested adding Epsom Salts as a foliar feed, which would give quick results.  I'm going to try it as it won't do any harm, but I will add some more as a top dressing next spring.  I was just wondering if I should also sprinkle some about on the allotment, as well as bit of lime and sulphate of ammonia - but maybe it is better to use blood, fish and bone which might cover everything? 

I think a degree in chemistry might help ;)

PS Just seen your post Cooperman - glad you agree it won't do any harm

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 00:02 »
Please read all our views and do not take the hump.

We all mean well, as does your neighbour, but I rather agree with Starry.

Bath is built of beautiful limestone so I would guess that you have limy alkaline soil that skimmias hate.

Two things before we go further. Firstly, your skimmias should be planted in ericacious compost? Secondly, you should always water them with rainwater rather than hard tapwater?

My skimmias and camelias in pots of ericacious compost watered with rainwater eventually go yellow. Not sure why but they do. Sequested iron soon puts them right.  You may also have magnesium defficiency but my money is on iron. Magnesiun is blotchy and shows as yellowing between the leaf veins, iron is pale leaves overall.  As they are evergreens you should see results now with the iron.

Be careful scattering all sorts on to your soil without reason. Most soils are naturally quite fertile and your most precious asset. Too much lime can lock up nutrients. Sulphate of ammonia is quick release nitrogen. Magnesium may be unnecessary. All have their right place. Blood, fish and bone or growmore will give a good basic dressing and suit most plants.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17 »
I had a feeling blood, fish and bone would be the best thing for the allotment although I do give my brassicas some sulphate of ammonia in July.

We live quite a long way from Bath and our garden soil is fairly neutral - being close to the Bristol Channel I suspect it is quite alluvial - we have had success with rhododendrons, camellias and pieris if we use Sequestrine from time to time.  I didn't know skimmias were lime haters so I will add them to sequestrine list - thanks.  And runners and cues will get the Epsom Salts  :)

Sorry I gave the impression I had the hump.  That was not the case at all.

xx
Epsom Salts

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 23:02
by gardener247
xx
Ok got Epsom salts ....... what now?

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 15:24
by mumofstig
xx
Epsom salts

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 22:45
by LandShark
question
Epsom Salts

Started by Gardener Girl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 22:38
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 31 queries.