spinach

• 6 Replies

veggie gal

spinach
« on: May 12, 2011, 18:59 »
Hello i'm veggie gal and i live in the midlands. Last year i aquired an allotment and was really pleased with the produce that i grown. This year ithought i would try and grow spinach but i have'nt got a clue what to do, i have some in my garden at home to see what happened but instead of growing as to what i think should be bushy it is grwing tall with what looks like flowers has it bolted and if so what have i done wrong. Any advice would be welcome thankyou

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: spinach
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 19:30 »
Sounds very much as if it has gone to seed.  Is it in full sunlight?  The hot weather we have had is probably the culprit.  Still time to sow some more though and have you thought about perpetual spinach?  Not really spinach but you use it the same and I find it easier to grow.
Cheese makes everything better.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:52 »
In hot weather spinach will bolt due to longer sunny days. i unknowingly had that problem last year. best thing would be to grow them indoors around Feb/early March in trays and then transplant outside when 1st true leaves appear.

rwhittington

• Compost Mentis
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55 »
We're currently debating this very thing with one of our neighbours.

I've read a bit about spinach preferring shade, and so I want to transplant ours to a bed that we have next to a tree; this will give it about 6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Our neighbour, however, is adamant that I'm making a mistake.

I'm a noob, and she's been doing it for years and she's very certain of herself.

I think I'll go maverick and just do it anyway. Risk her ire; boo-yah!

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:18 »
There are various types of spinach - it can be sown and grown successionally for continued crops. We like it raw as a baby-leaf salad crop.

I also grow swiss chard.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Robster

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54 »
We're currently debating this very thing with one of our neighbours.

I've read a bit about spinach preferring shade, and so I want to transplant ours to a bed that we have next to a tree; this will give it about 6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Our neighbour, however, is adamant that I'm making a mistake.

I'm a noob, and she's been doing it for years and she's very certain of herself.

I think I'll go maverick and just do it anyway. Risk her ire; boo-yah!

My spinach is grown under a tree  (apple) just like yours.  It has cropped well and only a small amount has bolted so far.  It's a good crop in a difficult place

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 23:12 »
plant seed in damp drills then make sure it is kept WELL watered, if it dries out it will run to seed which is the usual failing, being in full sun is not a problem, as long as it is well watered all the time and not allowed to dry out
As an alternative grow perpetual spinach, which is not actually spinach but a beet (spinach beet) OR grow swiss chard. I grow all three!!
Death OR Cake ???

xx
spinach beet, perpetual spinach

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:32
by viettaclark
xx
perpetual spinach - spinach beet

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:25
by viettaclark
xx
spinach, good spinach

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 18:30
by Annie
xx
spinach

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2021, 11:44
by JacsH

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 35 queries.