After Carrot fly

• 5 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
After Carrot fly
« on: July 29, 2010, 23:08 »
We have had the dreaded Carrot fly in our carrots and have dug them all up now and thrown them.

What I would like to know is is there anything we need to do to the soil before planting anything else in it?

We would like to get some winter veg in before its too late.

Many thanks
Ma x

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: After Carrot fly
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 23:30 »
Carrot fly can ruin carrots, as you have obviously discovered, allthough they also attack parsnips, parsley, celery and several other less often grown members of the parsley family, although usually with less devastating consequences.

I don't know what winter veg you are thinking of planting but the odds are they will be safe from the carrot fly without any special precautions. 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 23:56 »
Fork over the top few inches of the soil to expose any carrot fly pupae to the sun and birds. After you have planted the brassicas hoe between them occasionally to expose the pupae some more. If you net them you will shut the birds out.

Any affected carrots that may contain maggots or pupae are best put in your dustbin or sent to the council recycling. Only put them on your compost heap if you crush them and are sure the heap reaches high temperatures. If you only have a small quantity zap them in a microwave to kill maggots/pupae and then they are safe to compost.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 13:07 »
Carrot fly can ruin carrots, as you have obviously discovered, allthough they also attack parsnips, parsley, celery and several other less often grown members of the parsley family, although usually with less devastating consequences.

I don't know what winter veg you are thinking of planting but the odds are they will be safe from the carrot fly without any special precautions. 

They attack turnips as well  :(

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 13:15 »

is that not cabbage root fly?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 13:29 »

is that not cabbage root fly?

Oops yes.........you spotted my deliberate mistake   :wacko:

That's what I get for speed reading my new book which passes from carrot fly to cabbage root fly without drawing a breath  :blush:

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
carrot bed

Started by cranberry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 17:22
by cranberry
xx
Carrot fly

Started by diggin@diggle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 15:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
carrot fly

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 00:26
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 37 queries.