I was wondering if anyone could help me please....

• 25 Replies

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Re: I was wondering if anyone could help me please....
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43 »
There are also government initiatives for getting a school garden going, try these links for further info:

growing.schools@dfes.gsi.gov.uk

www.teachernet.gov.uk/growingschools

:)

rachelr

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 11:54 »
the abbey national and the coop used to run 'gift aids' for good causes. Get the secretary at the school to send out a letter to any of the local businesses. We used to regularly get our Christmas trees from b and q every year when i was school sec.

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59 »
Thank you very much for your help, As i said there's no such thing as PTA or anything like this as a lot of the kids are in care and have serious issues and are passed from one foster home to another, but i'll pass on the info and see what they can do. Thank you very very much for your help

Nuttytart

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 12:18 »
Also, don't forget to have a look at the Swap Shop and Recycle forum on here, these good people have spares that may be available to you for the price of a couple of stamps...  ;)

fisher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 13:05 »
I run our school garden and sympathise!
We have worked towards green flag status across the school and now have a little pot of £ to use for garden and other green projects.  When we started we had help from parents and staff to do some ground work.. led by a teacher with good practical skills and environmental knowledge.
 If we want to get a bigger task done we might spend a Saturday morning and get parents/children/staff to come along .. provide refreshments; take photos; reward the helpers!!
You may be able to get freebies or cheaper deals on equipment/supplies by asking-  local supermarket maybe?? local charities?? We got some free soil improver from the local firm which processes garden waste. We've also benefited from Supermarket voucher schemes (eg Morrisons)
Write a piece for local paper and attach quality photo of your plans (and say thank you to helpers/local firms etc). Publicity can only help!
See 'Frugal Living' on here for cheap deals too.
Seeds are cheap considering what youll grow though!! You should have a little money from sales ready for next year...
I find the 'selling the produce' the tricky bit though. We're in an area which is rather conservative in its tastes..  So the choice of what to grow is important from that point of view, as well as from the school timetable and holidays.
Its all time  consuming stuff but great sense of achievement and brilliant learning/nurture opportunities.. :) :)

Dreamer@45

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 13:54 »
I was in my local garden centre during last autumn and saw a chap replacing all the old seed packets with new ones. So I asked him what he does with all the old seed packets and he said they are given away to charities. might be worth you contacting the seed companies. :)

bigben

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 14:21 »
Try http://www.potatoesforschools.org.uk/ for free spuds for the kids to grow
Morrisons sell their flower pots at about 8 for a pound. I bet they would let you have some for nothing if you wrote, or got the kids to write a nice letter.
Scaffold suppliers need to scrap their batons after a few years- contact them and ask if they can let you have some if you could collect.
http://www.growingschools.org.uk/ is another site that you might find helpful.
 If you have a school magazine or newsletter then put in an article asking for help and see what come in.

kari

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 18:41 »
Where abouts in Northants is it? I have been given a big bag of old seeds & a load of new shallots & onion sets & seed potatos.

I have been wondering what to do with them all afternoon as there must be enough to plant several allotments!  Once I have sorted what I want out of them, they are welcome to the rest. but I dont have a car at the moment, so I would need someone to come & collect.
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

slider

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 18:49 »
i not sure who you,d need to see wether local council or your local m p could help for a grant.the local school to me has a plot on our site and the,ve just got a grant for a poly tunnel and tools.
brute force and ignorance works everytime

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 20:13 »
Some seeds on the way to you NT.   :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 20:31 »
Thankyou.
x

clip
Wondering what we've got ourselves into

Started by SethL on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 14:37
by SethL
clip
California Wondering

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 14:36
by Dr_Pepper
xx
Wondering if there is still time ... ?

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 11:53
by VickyR
xx
i was just wondering/being noisey

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 12:24
by p00rstudent

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 39 queries.