onduline coop roof

• 9 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
onduline coop roof
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:14 »
Hello all

We are back in the chicken business and I've built a coop and run. I was looking at creating ventilation before I finalise the project. The coop roof slopes from front to back by about 10 degrees and it will be under cover of the covered run.

I do have onduline on the roof and this is sitting on 6inch fence boards. I then thought, why not just remove the boards and have onduline sitting on the frame, which then will create ventalation without drafts.

Good or bad idea? please say good as I have already removed the onduline and about to unscrew the boards.. I saw a post from 2018 where Aidy uses it but doesn't say if it is sat on an open frame.

Cheers
Mark

PS good to see the place live and healthy :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: onduline coop roof
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 13:43 »
It depends how wide the gaps are on the frame.  Onduline can sag in the middle if there is nothing underneath it.  Maybe you could leave some of the fence boards for extra bracing and take some out for air flow.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 13:57 »
thanks.. I have a brace down the middle and it is only 1.2mx1.2 m. I would be doubling up on the onduline, as we had boat loads :D

Ema

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 18:15 »
As a surveyor I've seen far to many buildings suffer with onduline, it just sags after time waste of money in my opinion. If you want a coop to outlast your chooks I'd go with metal.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 21:45 »
If the house is under a solid cover it should be fine, but make sure that any draft is not at hen head height

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 15:09 »
If the house is under a solid cover it should be fine, but make sure that any draft is not at hen head height

thanks, the roof at the lowest point will be 2.5ft above the perches, so I think it should be ok?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 15:32 »
As a surveyor I've seen far to many buildings suffer with onduline, it just sags after time waste of money in my opinion. If you want a coop to outlast your chooks I'd go with metal.

That's interesting.  I've  had an onduline roof on my chicken run since 2005 without any problems.  Is that because I have sufficient support struts under it ?

Ema

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 08:29 »

That's interesting.  I've  had an onduline roof on my chicken run since 2005 without any problems.  Is that because I have sufficient support struts under it ?

Yes support and length of sheet, I also think UV is a factor

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 11:20 »
Couldn’t get much sunnier than “Sunny Kent”. 

I’ll count my blessings then.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 11:52 »

thanks, the roof at the lowest point will be 2.5ft above the perches, so I think it should be ok?

I think that would be fine.  They hunker down and roost on the perches. 

I had a coop roofed with onduline years ago.  The wooden structure gave way before the roof.  It was a 1m x 1m square with a sloped roof and under a roofed run, so pretty similar to your set-up  :)

xx
Onduline for chicken coop roof

Started by jmc1949 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 16:45
by Ema
xx
Coop Roof

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 11:31
by Jeanette
xx
Coop Roof

Started by lamina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 11:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Coop roof

Started by MKD on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 19:49
by grinling

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 51 queries.