A sad garden Day

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

A sad garden Day
« on: August 02, 2022, 16:48 »
Just been out there again and all I am doing is removing everything that ha turned its toes up.  Today it was the turn of a huge fern, which gone completely rusty and bitten the dust.   Also Lychnis, I went to take the dead leaves off, and they all came out of the ground.  Hope there will be some seedling, I really like this plant, they were some pink and some white.  Cut back aload more of the grapevine, masses of grapes, up and down the ladder.  I am not picking out he bunches with tweezers any more.    The Starling gang will enjoy them come mid September.   The garden looks neater, but just sad.  How are your gardens doing ?   We have had no rain at all.   I will not use the hose on the gardens and lawn.  Too wasteful.  I am old and remember Stand-pipes with  small children.   :ohmy:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

Re: A sad garden Day
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 19:51 »
I must admit this season has been a very trying time for us gardeners seeing plants gasping for water things on the allotments not producing as they should although we did have a good crop of onions and peas picked before the dry spell including broad beans and we had some cauliflowers and cabbage again picked before the dry spell early potatoes not to bad main crop ?

marrows and other squashes no movement hopefully we mite get some rain in the next couple of weeks fingers crossed but the weeds are growing quite well :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 14:10 »
The weeds always seem to do well.  The trouble is the ground is so hard I cannot dig them out :mad:  Mrs B

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 14:32 »
Just been out there again and all I am doing is removing everything that ha turned its toes up.  Today it was the turn of a huge fern, which gone completely rusty and bitten the dust.   

How did you managed to get it to do that ? I have 3 here which I've been trying to kill for years even sprayed them with weed killer but they refuse to die, I can't dig them out because of where they are - ferns annoy me as much if not more than the buddleias do.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 13:06 »
I had a fern I didn't want, so I sawed out as much as I got from the lumpy bottom bit, then drilled it and squirted SBK into it.  It died after that.    The buddliea is todays job, I cut the flowers that have died off every other day.   A lot of the leaves are dropping off as well, but plenty of new flowers.   What a struggle.
Mrs B

whaleroad

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 08:55 »
What hasn't died on my allotment doesn't seem to be growing, just surviving. I think I'm going to concentrate on the few things that are doing okay, broccoli, beetroot and my sprouts. Hopefully the sweetcorn is nearly ready.

I've stopped watering my sweetpeas and hanging baskets. My region, Thames Water, is bringing a hose ban in soon. Yesterday I saw a plot holder spend a very long time watering their grass and it just made me weep.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 12:32 »
What hasn't died on my allotment doesn't seem to be growing, just surviving. I think I'm going to concentrate on the few things that are doing okay, broccoli, beetroot and my sprouts. Hopefully the sweetcorn is nearly ready.

I've stopped watering my sweetpeas and hanging baskets. My region, Thames Water, is bringing a hose ban in soon. Yesterday I saw a plot holder spend a very long time watering their grass and it just made me weep.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 12:36 »
Oops, did that reply wrong.   Meant to say.    A neighbour across the common was washing his new to him, large black BMW.   Two buckets and the HOSEPIPE.    I wanted to shout and hollar, My blood pressure went up for sure.  Mrs B

xx
New garden

Started by Asherweef on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
wet garden

Started by peanut on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 07:05
by Rangerkris
xx
Dry Garden

Started by catllar on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 12:55
by catllar
xx
My garden

Started by RobbieG83 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 21:50
by Spana

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 46 queries.