Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

• 14 Replies

Anton

Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans
« on: July 25, 2022, 12:40 »
Two rows of dwarf bean plants have stopped producing any beans. Is it risky to replace them with other dwarf bean plants?

Anton

snowdrops

Re: Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 12:53 »
No should be fine unless they were diseased. Is it the heat that’s stopped them? If so it might be worth pruning them hard, giving them a good water & feed , I’m sure they’ll soon grow.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Anton

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 19:00 »
Snowdrops, thanks for your comment. No, the plants have grown well but have now finished producing beans.

Anton

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 10:07 »
Am I right in thinking you can grow French and runner beans in the same place each year?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 14:17 »
You can certainly grow runner beans in the same place for years according to old gardening advice, so I can’t  see why you couldn’t with french beans

lettice

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 08:06 »
I've grown my runner beans and french beans in the same plots for years with no problems.
The ground does get a good home compost boost a month or so before the bean seedlings get planted in their final position. Along with weekly kitchen veg waste scattered over the area during the winter months.

Have often sown more seeds direct in the plot later in the season where french beans were and they grow fine.

Anton

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 13:21 »
"Along with weekly kitchen veg waste scattered over the area during the winter months."
How exactly do you scatter your waste? Just spread over the top  of the soil?

Alan Titchmarsh spoke about digging a trench and filling it with kitchen waste,... I tried it once but a lot of the material did not break down in time for the sowing season.

Anton

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 17:10 »
"Along with weekly kitchen veg waste scattered over the area during the winter months."

Alan Titchmarsh spoke about digging a trench and filling it with kitchen waste,... I tried it once but a lot of the material did not break down in time for the sowing season.

Anton

Much of the kitchen waste in a trench is to allow the soil to absorb more water, Goosey, didn't you use a few barrow-loads of shredded paper once?

lettice

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 08:14 »

I just scatter it on top of the bare plot.
The worms pull it down within a week. The rain making the soil wet helps the process. Would not work well if at all in the drier summer months.
Have not dug deep any beds or trenches for many decades.
Just prior to any planting or sowing, a slight turn over if it needs it, add a layer of homemade compost to the beds, a final rake over for all kinds of veg.

Anton

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 10:40 »
"I just scatter it on top of the bare plot.
The worms pull it down within a week. "

Thanks for the reply. Do you do that for the entire plot or just for beans?

By the way, fellow gardeners, when will you be sowing your last beans?
I have a packet of beans here that says they can be sown as late as late August for harvesting in September!

Anton

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 11:19 »
I sowed another dozen on Monday  :D

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 05:41 »
I have some 'Tenderstar' ready to be sown this weekend, and just have to clear away the old peas, which will take ages as the net is all knotted up...

{:0~

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 10:53 »

Anton

Much of the kitchen waste in a trench is to allow the soil to absorb more water, Goosey, didn't you use a few barrow-loads of shredded paper once?

Don't think that was me but might be a good idea to get some more paper shredded then mix it with some lawn clippings and bung it in a compost bin.

lettice

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 12:12 »

Thanks for the reply. Do you do that for the entire plot or just for beans?

By the way, fellow gardeners, when will you be sowing your last beans?
I have a packet of beans here that says they can be sown as late as late August for harvesting in September!

Anton

I have a long 150 feet 'Victorian house' garden, not allotment.
Plots are spread out over that area along with paths, patios, greenhouse, sheds, compost bins, rotary washing line, gravelled relaxing areas etc.

I have no grassed areas. But, we have a big gated rear grassed private access area that is shared by us all with vehicle access. Not that any of us have ever really used it for that (though some neighbours use it for access to their rear gardens for stored boats and motorhomes), except for large deliveries, skips and builders lorries/vans etc.

The bean plots I've mentioned, also have chard and sweetcorn growing in the summer to the sides of the beans. I grow rows of more beans, radish and beetroot where the broad beans were earlier.
Both these plots and their other crops are empty over winter and take the veg waste as I described.

Do throw some of my veg waste over the raised beds.
One is dedicated for first/second early potatoes (normally International Kidney, but this year Sally/Nicola) that when all dug up by mid summer have pots of Kale and Chard resting on the soil till late Autumn and then are free for the veg waste over winter.
Another raised bed is dedicated for my Charlotte potatoes that are all finished now. Sweetcorn is growing in there now, with lettuce in between the rows and half of the bed is leeks. That bed will be half free for till Spring as will still be picking leeks from it till then. So half of it gets veg some veg waste.
Third raised bed is half leek and half peas. Those leeks also stay in till Spring, but the peas are finished now and have never really grown anything else in that half as like it to remain soil, during summer and Autumn. But do scatter veg waste on it in the winter months before the pea seedlings go out again. I use that area in the Summer/Autumn as a soil only area to work on to wash out all sizes of large/small pots and trays that were used for growing seedlings in spring in the greenhouse and indoors. Making that area wet and dirty does not hurt and not dirtying anywhere else unnecessarily.

I put in some purple podded and blue lake french climbing beans about a week ago sowed direct and are six inches tall already.
Will be my last sowing of beans, but not seeing why a sowing through August will not work. You could always start them off in trays now and transplant them through late August to give them a better start.
Have never really found later sown beans do as well as the ones we are picking now, but its worth it for the extra crop.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 13:58 by lettice »

Anton

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 18:59 »
Thank you for the very informative post, Lettice.

Anton

xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Dwarf beans.

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 12:58
by mrs bouquet
xx
The best dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 22:40
by AnneB
xx
Dwarf beans

Started by baldyman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 00:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 51 queries.