A Hot Bin

• 2 Replies

pepsi100

A Hot Bin
« on: July 24, 2022, 01:27 »
I have started using my Hot Bin (I bought it at the Chelsea Flower show)

It got off to a bit of a shaky start,, just wouldnt warm up, with just grass cuttings i it, but then I bought a shredder that cuts up cardboard, even the double stuff amazon sends out

It came with a 2 liter bottle, you fill it with hot water and it helps warm it up (they have got very hot over the past few days and havent cooled down)

I think they are really for winter use

Now I put in grass cuttings, weeds, dead flowers, flower stalks, dead (or nearly dead) flower baskets, old tomato plants (had a really good year this year with them, would have been more but the grand kids kept pinching them) anything green or brown, dead or nearly dead, beetroot leaves, carrot tops, cabbage leaves

Over the past few days the Hot Bin has come up to its supposed operating temperature, its very steamy and hot in there, but no smells

Does it get hot enough to kill off any flower/weed seeds ? (the last thing I want is spreading compost with weed seeds in it, had enough of them this year

Can bugs, worms, insects survive the high temperature or does it just rely on  Bacteria to break everything down ?

I know worms cant enter it, as its sealed at the bottom, unlike my Dalek composter (which has all kinds of wild life in there)

I stir them both up every few days just to keep the rotting process going

Oh, well, If anyone is interested, I'll post any updates when I remove any of the rotted compost
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 13:02 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: A Hot Bin
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 14:41 »
Once it is up to temperature, it should kill seeds but the most resilient of them take a few weeks at 55 degrees C to make sure. 

As for critters, I find composting worms do get in over the winter, when the bin cools down a fair bit, but they can’t stand the summer heat and move out.  They find their way through the edges of the lid I think.  There are other tiny bugs in mine.  No idea what they are, but they congregate around the lid when the bin is very hot and presumably delve down deeper when it is not.

Mine is demolishing waste at the moment and very steamy when the lid is opened.  I’ve only emptied mine once so far, but the compost was very rich and more like stuff out of a wormery than a normal compost bin.  I put it on my asparagus bed at home as a winter mulch and it went mad this spring  :)

pepsi100

Re: A Hot Bin
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 20:13 »
I havent even tried to empty my Hot Bin yet, but I did move my Dalek composter, and turned over the contents

It had rotted quite well at the bottom, lots of worms, bugs and creep crawlies, a lot of wood lice as well, dont know what they found to eat in there

I mixed up my Hot Bin today as well, stuff from the bottom bought to the top, the cardboad is rotting away quite happily, the green stuff is brown and wilted

I cant put any grass cuttings in there, my grass has given up the hghost and just not growing

I am glad to hear that as long as the Hot Bin reains high, seeds will get killed off (but knowing nature, some will survive

When I do empty it, I'm going to seive it and put it over my Lindum wild turf (that is another story)

I am always open to tips and ideas with this Hot Bin (Their forums are pretty rubbish, no one replies on there and they say they are a friendly bunch >:(

I dont expect lots of replies about a Hot Bin, after all its just a composter :D

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 36 queries.