News of the World

• 12 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
News of the World
« on: July 16, 2022, 20:10 »

Shikigaku, located in Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, conducted a survey on April 27-28 asking 300 employees who work for companies with staffs of 300 or more, “Is there a old guy who doesn’t work’ in the company you work for?” Of all the respondents, including men and women between the ages 20 and 39, 49.2% agreed.  Story at https://www.yahoo.com/video/49-japanese-employees-old-guy-224024273.html

We have similar jobs over here, except in many cases, they are staffed by young people.   ???  ::)  :unsure:
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: News of the World
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 20:27 »
What I can’t work out is how come I can never manage to land one of those jobs  ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 20:32 »
Even better, one of those jobs where you never turn up at all, but still get paid, because someone forgot to take you off the payroll!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Sounds gross, but it's really a cool paleontological find from a farm in the Cotswolds: https://www.livescience.com/fossil-farm-fish-uk

Also interesting is this 3-D computer model of the fossil: https://go.redirectingat.com/?id=92X1590019&xcust=livescience_us_1262901735973539300&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsketchfab.com%2F3d-models%2Fpachycormus-e9e8c333b72e4eb88dd740a32e440a0f&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.livescience.com%2Ffossil-farm-fish-uk

Edit: That 3-D model takes a while to load.  But, if you are interested, load the model, go have a cuppa, come back when you are finished, and you can look at that toothy fish skull from all angles, rotating it with your pointer.

There are many other very well preserved fossils there as well, it sounds like the scientists are digging as the cows watch on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 01:42 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Four feet of snow expected in a storm that has already affected much of the north central and eastern USA.  The worst is yet to come, through Sunday this coming weekend:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/11/18/buffalo-new-york-snow-storm/10725985002/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 19:03 »
I saw that! It looks awful, take care!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 21:16 »
Stay safe

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 22:13 »
Mum and Yorkie:

Thanks for your concern, but this is one of those cases where I am glad that "News of the World" is NOT news of North Georgia!  We are quite safe down here, 650 miles to the southwest in Athens, Georgia, where it was a nippy -2 C this morning, but it has warmed to a sunny 13 C this afternoon.

The weather conditions that cause snows like this are limited to areas that touch our Great Lakes.  These big snows are called "lake effect" snows, cold air picks up extra moisture from the lakes, and the result is that snow is deposited down wind of the lakes.  So, in the USA, the effects are felt mostly in the states from Minnesota and east to New York (and sometimes "New England" states).  Folks on the Canadian side of the border get the same treatment.

Normally, lake effect snows result in, for example, 12 inches of snow close to the lakes, compared to 2 inches away from the lakes.  These breathtakingly large snows are unusual, but have occurred before, so are not unprecedented. 

Here is an interesting marker from northern Michigan, illustrating how heavy these snows can be:  https://www.pasty.com/snow/  The record snowfall for the winter of 1978 - 1979 was about 32.5 feet. I actually passed that marker in late summer 1979, when the weather was pleasant and warm, with no snow in sight!  Many houses in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (where the UPers live!) have a door on the second floor of the house so access to the house is not blocked by accumulated snow.  They are prepared.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 22:19 by Subversive_plot »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 22:21 »
32.5 feet???!  :ohmy:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 23:11 »
32.5 feet???!  :ohmy:

Yes.
I think that is a total for the winter season (not 100% sure), Still, IMO, that's just short of a glacier.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 13:34 »
Checking on the totals for the current storm, Orchard Park, New York has recorded 77 inches of accumulation for this single storm event (that's 6 feet, 5 inches, beating the old state record, which was 50 inches).

AndyRVTR

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 17:44 »
Checking on the totals for the current storm, Orchard Park, New York has recorded 77 inches of accumulation for this single storm event (that's 6 feet, 5 inches, beating the old state record, which was 50 inches).
Please send some my way.. I love snow!  :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 00:52 »
Please send some my way.. I love snow!  :lol:

Andy, I think I draw the line when the storm dumps enough that I wouldn't be able to get the front door open!   :lol:
I'll see if Orchard Park, New York can export some to you.  They'd probably send a plane load to you for free, as long as you pay the shipping.  :D

xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 09:58
by Truffle
xx
Has the world gone completely mad ???

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post April 03, 2019, 17:31
by Goosegirl
xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2021, 19:17
by Growster...
xx
What is our world coming to?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2020, 12:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 53 queries.