wallflowers

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

wallflowers
« on: July 10, 2022, 17:42 »
we have been growing wallflowers for some years now then somebody told me you need to pinch out the growing tip to make the wallflowers more bushy but they didn't say at what stage this should be done I just assumed this should be done when they start growing after winter sowings prior to planting out in the spring ?

and I assume the same goes for Erysimum as there much the same as the wallflower family I though we mite have a go at growing Erysimum after seeing some selling  at well known garden centre in large pots for nearly a tenner I have to admit they where nice plants so Erysimum lets have a go

can anyone out there give me some tips  on growing Erysimum and pinching out wallflowers for a better display replies very welcome RW :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: wallflowers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 19:18 »
Erysimums are fairly short lived perennials, but last a few years.  They get very leggy if fed and watered a lot so I treat them like a lavender and grow them a bit mean.  Just keep dead heading and they flower for months on end.   I think they are pretty easy to propagate from cuttings if you want more.

I have never pinched out wall flowers, but what you suggest makes sense.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 18:57 »
thanks for that info new shoot on the question of Erysimums getting leggy I was thinking about using a plant regulator to slow down the growth making them a more compact plant as I said the ones I seen in the G/C where a standard size not leggy that made me think they had been sprayed with a plant regulator possibly at an early stage  anyway once again many thanks for your replies RW

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 10:59 »
I pinch out the tips of both wallflowers and sweet peas plus any other annuals that produce a first spike. When they get going you can see the main stem producing flower buds so nip it off at the base of the stem. It's hard to feel you're sacrificing your first flowers but it gets the other ones going and you get a better shaped and more prolific flowers.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 20:31 »
good reply Gooseygirl one that's worth remembering in the future many thanks RW

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 05:52 »
I've never pinched out sweet peas as I never quite know which bit to take off...

A lovely old lady always used to ask me if I did that years ago, and as she was - er - slightly disorientated, I let her have her say, but now I know!

We have 'Sugar Rush' wallflowers every year, and never pinch them out either, but some years they go on forever, so something's going right!

xx
Wallflowers

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 08:32
by Ruby Red
xx
Wallflowers

Started by BumbleJo on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2015, 19:10
by ARPoet
xx
wallflowers

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 19:25
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Wallflowers

Started by rw3272 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 19:54
by rw3272

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 39 queries.