Touch of DIY advice please

• 8 Replies

Anton

Touch of DIY advice please
« on: May 15, 2022, 16:55 »
At the side of the new vegetable garden I have started this season stands a large tin drum with a pipe running into it from the roof next door. The drum has been almost empty since I started digging in the garden, back in February,  so I presumed the neighbour must have disconnected it at some time. I have only ever seen him from afar and he didn't seem very friendly whenever I waved.

However, I bumped into him outside his house the other day and he turned out to be super friendly. He reckons there must be a hole in the drum (apparently he worked in the same vegetable garden quite a few years back).

So as there is no no way of me transporting a new drum to the site I wonder if I could line the drum with a plastic tarpaulin type cover!  When I lived in another part place, about 35 years ago, I took over another garden in which someone had created a duck pond using such a tarpaulin and it held the water perfectly well. The ducks had gone by the time I started gardening and the pond offered me a useful source of water.

Hence my idea of lining the drum. Feasible or not?

Anton

Clactonite

Re: Touch of DIY advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 17:12 »
I think the thing you are thinking of is a butyl liner.  But, and this is a considerable but, this material can be easily torn by sharp edges, such as a rusty lump of steel, a ragged edged hole in a large tin, etc.  It would probably cost as much to repair as it would to buy a new water-butt.  Having said that, you call it a large tin drum so I have no idea of the actual size. 

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 17:18 »
You could always dig out a pond and let the pipe run into that.  Cheap, green and nostalgic solution

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 19:08 »
On this side of the pond, you would gave a few options.

Drain and dry the barrel.

Inspect the barrel. If the leaks are small, you may be able to seal from the inside with a) a spray adhesive sealant (products here are Flex Seal, Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal); b) fiberglass and epoxy, or just the epoxy.

If the repair needed is extensive, would a plastic trash can with lid be a good replacement, can you work out a barter to have someone with a lorry to help you get it to the plot? Fresh produce in exchange, or buy them lunch?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 20:52 »
Hello you could get a piece of carpet under lay to put between the tin and butyl liner   jezza

Rob the rake

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 21:05 »

Inspect the barrel. If the leaks are small, you may be able to seal from the inside with a) a spray adhesive sealant (products here are Flex Seal, Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal); b) fiberglass and epoxy, or just the epoxy.

If the repair needed is extensive, would a plastic trash can with lid be a good replacement, can you work out a barter to have someone with a lorry to help you get it to the plot? Fresh produce in exchange, or buy them lunch?

Would the same repair products seal a moulded pond liner, SP? It has a couple of small splits, none bigger than a few inches.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Anton

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 21:13 »
Thanks for all of these pieces of advice.

Anton

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 22:45 »

Would the same repair products seal a moulded pond liner, SP? It has a couple of small splits, none bigger than a few inches.

A few inches is pretty big. I think you are probably needing a new liner in that case. If the "Gorilla" brand products are sold over there, you might see if they have patching products. Gorilla glue has a unique characteristic, it actually bonds better in contact with water.

Rob the rake

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 02:12 »

A few inches is pretty big. I think you are probably needing a new liner in that case. If the "Gorilla" brand products are sold over there, you might see if they have patching products. Gorilla glue has a unique characteristic, it actually bonds better in contact with water.

OK, thanks. I know of someone else who successfully lined a similar moulding with a piece of thick polythene sheet. Given that I got the pond liner for free it's probably worth a try.

xx
Advice please for starting up. Have land and need advice before we start.

Started by mairistephen on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 23:20
by mairistephen
xx
I need advice !

Started by Sparkyrog on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 23:08
by fatcat1955
xx
advice

Started by nomic on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 10:14
by nomic
xx
hot box advice

Started by eeyore on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 19:00
by Auntie Rain

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.