Courgette question

• 2 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
Courgette question
« on: August 18, 2009, 17:52 »
One of my courgette plants appears to have broken off in the centre (ie where the main flower stalk grows from) so presumably it won't flower anymore.  If that's the case can I dig it out?

My courgette/pumpkin patch is like an unexplored jungle and I almost need a machete to get through it so if I can get one past-it plant out it'll make fighting my way through the jungle a bit easier.

On the same note can I take out some of the lower leaves on plants that are still active?  My daughters keep complaining that by the time I find the courgettes in the middle of the jungle they're so big they could almost be hollowed out and used as boats!

jb

• Experienced Member
Re: Courgette question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 18:48 »
Not sure about the broken plant but in previous years some of mine have produced small sideshoots so it might be worth leaving be and seeing if anything develops (assuming there are leaves below the break and there is no sign of disease).
Taking out lower leaves shouldn't be a problem as many lower ones rot anyway and tend to contribute little to photosynthesis as they are shaded out by the upper leaves. In fact if you get powdery mildew the best way of controlling is leaf removal

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Re: Courgette question
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 19:03 »
One of mine did this, think it was a plain Zucchini type, but rather than bin it, I potted it on into a flower bucket and popped it in the greenhouse to see if I can get a couple of late croppers.

A b it of an experiment, but it's fun to see which plants growing seasons you can extend by a bit of protective cropping.

xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Courgette question

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 20:30
by gobs
xx
Help! Courgette question!

Started by pinkdaisychain on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:27
by Beetroot queen
xx
courgette question

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 16:49
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.