old ground, new start

• 7 Replies

reddav72

old ground, new start
« on: September 29, 2009, 21:36 »
just took over new patch which is overgrown, will be cleaning upand digging over in next couple of weeks. am thinking of covering it upwith old carpet and leaving till whenever best. Is this the right thing to do? and when will be the right time to uncover and get to work?  v.new to allthis any tips will be v. appreciated.thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 21:42 by reddav72 »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: old ground, new start
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 21:41 »
I'll move this over to Grow Your Own rather than D&C, but pleeeeease don't use carpet.

For starters, it can leach chemicals into the soil as it breaks down, bits disintegrate, grass can grow through it, it's a nightmare to dispose of, and some sites ban it completely (mine does).

Weed suppressant fabric is the best bet, but is quite expensive so you could use cardboard or plastic (in the short-term, it's not good for the soil long-term).

But yes, digging a bit at a time and covering up to prevent weed growth is the way to go.  Do put some garlic and overwintering onions in so you've got something growing too
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

reddav72

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 21:49 »
got plenty of plastic so that will get stated. any other varieties i could put in over the winter?

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 22:07 »
Plastic doesn't do quite the same job as it doesn't allow the ground to breathe.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 00:48 »
It's just a personal thing but I don't cover my ground with anything unless it has come from the compost heap - even then it usually gets dug or rotovated in.

I find a quick belt through with a hoe (of some sort) keeps the weeds down - reduces the weed seeds that are likely to grow later in the year. It takes little time.

I prefer to leave the ground open to the elements and to let it breath. Looks better too IMHO.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:40 »
If you could see the ground under the rotten pot storage frame that I inherited on the plot you'd leave the ground open to the weather as well.

reddav72

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 19:02 »
first thing is to get all the rubbish skipped then turn the ground andgo from there. thanks for all advice, every bit will help. more welcome!! ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 21:09 »
Do a bit at a time and take a flask of coffee / tea and a camera.

In very cold weather (providing the ground is not frozen solid) it is amazing how warm you can get clearing a plot....so take your time... by spring it will be beautiful!  ;)

xx
What's in the ground to start the year with

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 07, 2018, 11:11
by madcat
xx
Anything I can put in the ground now?

Started by redj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 13:27
by Daamoot
xx
What to get in the ground first?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 19:00
by ConfusedGardener
xx
What can go in the ground now??

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 39 queries.