New Allotment

• 6 Replies

Glo

New Allotment
« on: September 10, 2014, 15:11 »
Hello everyone.  I'm a novice who has taken on a new allotment which was previously a field so you can imagine what the it's like.  Weeds, weeds and more weeds which we are digging out very meticulously.  My questions is:  what do we need to add to the soil to improve it.  I would say that the soil has some clay (not much) and does not rake very well.  The plot is 50' x 25'.  What would members suggest that's not too expensive but would help the soil.  Access is not too good so I would have to barrow whatever we buy to the plot.  Thoughts very much welcomed.  Thanks

snowdrops

Re: New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 22:26 »
Manure is relatively cheap, but you need to check it's source as there is a weedkiller used that stays in the manure that needs to be avoided, I just can't remember it's name. Or any well rotted compost from your garden etc will all help to improve the soil. Read the advice on the home page of the site about clearing a plot
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:40 »
Mushroom compost is fairly cheap, plus could you have it delivered to the site when you are there as it would save you barrowing it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 13:25 »
It's nearly autumn, so start collecting all the leaves you can and make a big enclosure out of chicken wire fencing to stop them blowing away. Builders bags are good for collecting the leaves in as they are big and have handles to drag them along with. They're the ones that you get sand and gravel delivered in. After a year you've got some good material to mulch with to keep the weeds down. I'd avoid oak leaves as they take a bit longer to rot down.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 13:27 by Nobbie »

keeper

• Trevorl
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 19:55 »
Hello everyone.  I'm a novice who has taken on a new allotment which was previously a field so you can imagine what the it's like.  Weeds, weeds and more weeds which we are digging out very meticulously.  My questions is:  what do we need to add to the soil to improve it.  I would say that the soil has some clay (not much) and does not rake very well.  The plot is 50' x 25'.  What would members suggest that's not too expensive but would help the soil.  Access is not too good so I would have to barrow whatever we buy to the plot.  Thoughts very much welcomed.  Thanks
I have recently , like yourself , taken over an overgrown plot and last year I never bothered planting or treating the soil as I wanted to concentrate on clearing the weeds before I started planting, because, as well as the weeds you are digging out, there will be a huge bank of weed seeds waiting to germinate next spring .

I sprayed with Glyphosate and when the plot greened up with weeds ,I sprayed again, about 4 times in total last year and again this spring before planting, of course not everybody likes the use of chemicals, however.

I feel that until you have the weeds under some control, it is not worth planting and when you are ready to think about planting then plan your soil  improvement.
I still have a problem with weeds , but had a good year and the weeds are manageable. I also asked the question about "weed control without chemicals " recently on here, and it might be worth your while looking at that as there were some very helpful suggestions, but I have sprayed again ! and will leave the plot to rest  for the winter, apart from the Parsnips and Leeks which I will eat as the winter progresses
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 19:56 by keeper »

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 20:42 »
If you don't want to spray, are you able to invest in some heavy duty weed suppressant  permeable membrane, that can be spread over some of the area you have dug and will help control any regrowth. If you keep it on until next spring you will have a manageable area to cultivate next year. You can move the membrane on or   to make paths, or I use it to cover my raised beds during the winter when there is nothing in them, it certainly cuts down on the weeding in Spring. When I started my plot eleven years ago it hadn't been used for ten years and was a like a field! Probably not worth putting manure etc on yet. Get a compost heap going so you will have something to dig in in the spring.

Good luck with it.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 21:28 »
I only got my allotment in July seven rods, my allotment was overgrown and wasn't used for three years, I cut the weeds right down then dug over half the plot added beds then planted quite a few different things, whist they where growing I dug the rest of the plot then put fresh horse manure over the top, on the half of the plot I wasn't growing anything in, the fresh manure will help slow down the weeds

xx
New allotment

Started by jan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 14:00
by jan
xx
put me name down for a allotment

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 21:42
by surbie100
xx
help? new allotment

Started by pvc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 14:20
by izzy
xx
New allotment act?

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 17:52
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.