Strawberries

• 2 Replies

monsoon

Strawberries
« on: April 05, 2010, 13:04 »
I was given some plants on October to put them in a spare plastic trough ans stashed them in the greenhouse, even after the terrible weather (that killed all the chilli/sweet peppers we had on there hoping they would be ok for this summer  >:( ) they have been forgotten until I noticed they are full of flowers.

As we are on the south coast the greenhouse is very warm so have actually given them some water! but of course no bug or flys can get in there, are they self pollinating? will they be ok? and will they only crop once this year?

jimmytheshed

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 14:42 »
You be surprised at the amount of bugs that crawl around in there!! i have done strawberries in the tunnel, in large pots for a few years and always get an extra early crop from them, when it warms up enough put them out side. otherwise you might find they rot off at the tip of the fruit.

sclarke624

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 21:29 »
Unless they are perpetual strawberries they only crop once anyways, a year.

I have some indoors so they crop early and I pollinate them with a paint brush, I just dabbled the brush around the yellow bit.  There are strawberries on these ones indoors.  

I suppose you know strawberries are very hardy and you don't have to, unless you want to, put them in a greenhouse.  They can be out all winter and will be fine.  

There are other names for perpetual strawberries can't think what they are just now, I had some perpetuals but didn't think much of them.

PS I don't see why your ones won't be ok.   As far as I know they are not self pollinating hence having to use a brush if they are indoors.  They could have pollinated via a bug getting in their ,brushing against them or maybe just a breeze.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 21:38 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Strawberries- Is this right..

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 16:04
by sclarke624
xx
Strawberries

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 23:16
by solway cropper
xx
Strawberries

Started by Pauly1958 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 06, 2019, 17:54
by jambop
xx
Strawberries

Started by Debz and Jon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 22:56
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.