Leeks - Help, Help

• 20 Replies

Trillium

Leeks - Help, Help
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 16:01 »
Those were some pretty desperate snails and slugs to go after leeks. I'm guessing that putting them beside the delectable peas wasn't the best idea. I'd say go for garden centre plants, which should be larger, and use slug pellets. By all means, seed more, but don't count on them being especially large at harvest time.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Leeks - Help, Help
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 19:40 »
I've had a fair bit of slug damage to my leeks, and also picked a lot off the shallots - they've also had all my dwarf french beans except one, and every single carrot, tagete and radish.  I'll resow those one evening soon, and will have to seriously consider slug pellets until they're big enough to withstand the damage.  None of my organic slug repellents seem to be working, so I'm having a bit of a slug-despair at the moment.  I'll be using pellets in the sweetcorn bed too, until they're established, although just within collars made from platic bottles, to minimise the frogs and newts getting at them.  Feeling pretty miserable about it at the moment!

WG.

Leeks - Help, Help
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 19:50 »
Tried coffee grounds?  Needed in quantity but I read somewhere that they work against slugs.  Great soil improver too

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Leeks - Help, Help
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 20:47 »
Yup   :?   I don't drink coffee, but OH was bouncing off the walls for a few days when I tried it!  :roll:

Anton

Leeks - Help, Help
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 06:38 »
My leek plants got attacked by leek fly (moth) last year (started with white streaks then holes started to to appear until the leaves looked a bit shredded and their growth was impeded. My father-in-law's leeks all died). I read somewhere that the insect lays its grubs twice a year (one is in August) and that a fleece should be used during these periods. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Anton

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Leeks - Help, Help
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 11:18 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
I've had a fair bit of slug damage to my leeks, and also picked a lot off the shallots - they've also had all my dwarf french beans except one, and every single carrot, tagete and radish.

Thank God! I thought I was going mad.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

xx
Leeks

Started by Minty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 14:32
by Minty
xx
202 leeks... so far...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 20:32
by Growster...
xx
Leeks

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

67 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 23:28
by devonbarmygardener
xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 16:46
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 34 queries.