Is my celeriac OK?

• 17 Replies

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Is my celeriac OK?
« on: November 03, 2009, 15:58 »
My celeriac looks healthy, lots of dark green leaves and  I've been taking off any side shoots. Should the roots be swelling up by now? Because they aren't! Or am I just being impatient as usual? Any help would be great. :ohmy:
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Is my celeriac OK?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 16:02 »
In my experience, yes they should by now be swolen, this is the first year I have none in or I would of sent a pickie. When were they sown? They like a long growing season or it may be too much nitrogen hence lush green tops and nowt underneath.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 16:09 »
Too much nitrogen sounds likely. Lots of lush top growth. They've been in for ages, knowing my impatience I prob sowed them back in end of Feb in the greenhouse! If it is too much nitrogen, is there anything I can do for them and will I always have that problem? (Note to self-  do a soil test and read up about nutrients etc!)  :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 17:10 »
"I've been taking off any side shoots"

Errmmm ... is that necessary? Strikes me it will reduce the amount of working-leaf-area for the plant, no?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 17:13 »
That's actually what the books say, but I never bother.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 17:19 »
Come to think of it, they had a generous helping of horse muck during the summer. Would that have anything to do with the lush tops and no bottom!?  :wacko:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 17:28 »
That's actually what the books say, but I never bother.

Perhaps I should read my gardening books more, rather than just buying them :(

"Remove lower leaves [side shoots] from midsummer onwards to expose the crown ... In late September draw soil around the swollen stem bases"

I don't do either of those.  Will try to remember next year ... bound to make a huge difference exposing the crown so I can then cover it in soil!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 17:51 »
I have never been able to get celeriac to grow bigger than a large orange. This year I tried sowing them extra early (January) as I heard they need a long growing season. It didn't make any difference. The tops aren't particulary lush and I haven't fed them with anything. I am beginning to accept that it will probably always be this way. I will just sow twice as many and pick two at a time.
Rachael

SG6

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 19:23 »
I have some in and they aren't that big either.
Went in fairly early so have had lots of time. Just leaving them at the moment as I don't need the space so they may increase in girth.
Will try them again next year as they have been trouble free and that is a bonus, but if not better at making a lump then will not bother after that.

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 21:20 »
I have had little success either. Variety is Monarch. Books say to harvest ater they reach tennis ball size. Mine are like ping pongs. Take away the thick sking and there's * all left! But I love celeraic and I will NOT be beaten lol
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

peterjf

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 23:30 »
had a poor season for celeriac, my soil was too rich

ill use this years turnip bed for them next year ,

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 23:50 »
All those with poor celariac, except Peterif, are in East midlands, East Anglia and London where August to October was very dry.  Celariac need lots of water the same as their cousins celary.

Mr B

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 13:21 »
Hi All,
    I was told that Celeriac needs a soil on the acidic side so being on chalk here I have never tried to grow them. We really like them so if any one knows if the acidity of the soil is not a problem I will give them a try next year.
Regards,
Chris

bonfire

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 15:28 »
I don't think they will bulk up much if they haven't done so already. I have had very good results this year without much watering and on a site on chalk in Lewes - although on an old flood plain so not only chalk.

With lots of soil improvement done over the last three years and with no feeding since planting out in May/June I have been harvesting good sized celeriac for three or four weeks with perhaps 15 more to come so don't be put off trying. I think the timing is most important giving the seeds a warm start and getting the plants established before any possible summer drought.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 16:26 »
All those with poor celariac, except Peterif, are in East midlands, East Anglia and London where August to October was very dry.  Celariac need lots of water the same as their cousins celary.

Don't grow celeriac ....but as usuall grown cellary...for the first time ..very poor crop..for the exact reasons you have mentioned...tooo dry!!!...last 3 yrs great ...this...spindles of cellary... :)

xx
Celeriac

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 18:34
by RJR_38
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 18:32
by RJR_38
xx
Celeriac ?

Started by SG6 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 07:55
by SG6
xx
celeriac

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2017, 12:20
by Aidy

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 33 queries.